* Git VC commands on remote file via Tramp
@ 2008-01-06  4:04 André Cruz
From: André Cruz @ 2008-01-06  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all.

I'm having some problems using the VC commands on a remote file which
has a Git backend. On local files I can use Git as a vc backend with
no problems but on remote files I get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No fileset is available here.")
   signal(error ("No fileset is available here."))
   error("No fileset is available here.")
   vc-deduce-fileset()
   vc-print-log()
   call-interactively(vc-print-log nil nil)

I'm using the latest Emacs from CVS and the latest tramp version. Is
the problem on Emacs, vc-git.el or tramp?

Thanks for the help,
André Cruz

* Re: Git VC commands on remote file via Tramp
@ 2008-01-06 12:11 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-01-06 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Cruz; +Cc: emacs-devel

André Cruz <andre.cruz@co.sapo.pt> writes:

> Hello all.

Hi,

> I'm having some problems using the VC commands on a remote file which
> has a Git backend. On local files I can use Git as a vc backend with
> no problems but on remote files I get:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No fileset is available here.")
>   signal(error ("No fileset is available here."))
>   error("No fileset is available here.")
>   vc-deduce-fileset()
>   vc-print-log()
>   call-interactively(vc-print-log nil nil)
>
> I'm using the latest Emacs from CVS and the latest tramp version. Is
> the problem on Emacs, vc-git.el or tramp?

André did send me already the Tramp logs. I would say Tramp behaves as
expected; I didn't see a problem there.

I don't use git myself, so it would be a little bit harder for me to
test. But scanning vc-git.el, I've seen it applies `call-process'. This
cannot work on remote hosts. I guess it must be replaced by
`process-file', plus adapting the file names used as arguments, because
likely they will be in Tramp syntax.

I would be willing to do the tests, but this might take a couple of
days, because first I must teach myself git first. If somebody is faster
than me, please run.

Btw, `call-process' or `start-process' are used also in vc.el,
vc-arch.el, vc-hg.el and vc-bzr.el. Likely this shall be reviewed, too.

> Thanks for the help,
> André Cruz

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Git VC commands on remote file via Tramp
@ 2008-01-08 20:18 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-01-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Cruz; +Cc: emacs-devel

André Cruz <andre.cruz@co.sapo.pt> writes:

> Hello all.

Hi,

> I'm having some problems using the VC commands on a remote file which
> has a Git backend. On local files I can use Git as a vc backend with
> no problems but on remote files I get:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No fileset is available here.")
>   signal(error ("No fileset is available here."))
>   error("No fileset is available here.")
>   vc-deduce-fileset()
>   vc-print-log()
>   call-interactively(vc-print-log nil nil)
>
> I'm using the latest Emacs from CVS and the latest tramp version. Is
> the problem on Emacs, vc-git.el or tramp?

Shall be fixed now. I did need to patch both vc-git.el and tramp.el.

> Thanks for the help,
> André Cruz

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Git VC commands on remote file via Tramp
@ 2008-01-09 10:46   ` André Cruz
From: André Cruz @ 2008-01-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Michael.

On 2008/01/08, at 20:18, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Shall be fixed now. I did need to patch both vc-git.el and tramp.el.

Are you sure? I just did a checkout of the latest emacs cvs which has
your changes to vc-git.el and tramp.el and I get the same error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No fileset is available here.")
   signal(error ("No fileset is available here."))
   error("No fileset is available here.")
   vc-deduce-fileset()
   vc-print-log()
   call-interactively(vc-print-log nil nil)

Here is the log.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs.log --]

Also... Will I be able to backport these changes to 22.1? I work on an
OSX machine and there is no Carbon support on the latest 23.0

@ 2008-01-09 11:22     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-01-09 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Cruz; +Cc: emacs-devel

André Cruz <andre.cruz@co.sapo.pt> writes:

> Hello Michael.

Hi André,

>> Shall be fixed now. I did need to patch both vc-git.el and tramp.el.
>
> Are you sure? I just did a checkout of the latest emacs cvs which has
> your changes to vc-git.el and tramp.el and I get the same error:

Have you applied "make bootstrap" after syncing with CVS? I don't see
the git calls in the trace which shall happen now.

> Also... Will I be able to backport these changes to 22.1? I work on an
> OSX machine and there is no Carbon support on the latest 23.0

I don't believe so. vc-git.el is not there, and Tramp 2.0 (which is
the version in Emacs 22) is seriously different to Tramp 2.1.

> Thanks for the help,
> André Cruz

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Git VC commands on remote file via Tramp
@ 2008-01-09 12:03       ` André Cruz
From: André Cruz @ 2008-01-09 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Michael.

On 2008/01/09, at 11:22, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Are you sure? I just did a checkout of the latest emacs cvs which has
>> your changes to vc-git.el and tramp.el and I get the same error:
>
> Have you applied "make bootstrap" after syncing with CVS? I don't see
> the git calls in the trace which shall happen now.

You're right. Didn't know I had to do that.
It works. :)

>> Also... Will I be able to backport these changes to 22.1? I work on
>> an
>> OSX machine and there is no Carbon support on the latest 23.0
>
> I don't believe so. vc-git.el is not there, and Tramp 2.0 (which is
> the version in Emacs 22) is seriously different to Tramp 2.1.

That's a shame...

Thanks,
André Cruz