* Fraktur
@ 2009-01-09 15:53 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-01-09 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]; +Cc: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

I try to use the german Fraktur, and I tried

(standard-display-ascii ?a  (vector (decode-char 'ucs #x1D400)))

, however the unicode character is not present. I see a box instead of the german `A`; Is there a possibility to use Fraktur in emacs?

Thanks in advance,

Alin Soare.

____________________________________________________Des photos de vacances ou des vidéos de réveillons à partager ? Voila vous offre 1 Go d’espace de stockage sur http://www.voila.fr/Macle/

* Re: Fraktur
@ 2009-01-09 16:29 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2009-01-09 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: A. Soare; +Cc: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs], Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

* Re: Fraktur
@ 2009-01-09 18:04 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-01-09 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Help [help-gnu-emacs], Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A. Soare wrote:
> I try to use the german Fraktur, and I tried
>
> (standard-display-ascii ?a  (vector (decode-char 'ucs #x1D400)))
>
> , however the unicode character is not present. I see a box instead of the german `A`; Is there a possibility to use Fraktur in emacs?

Only in Emacs-23 (from CVS), and then probably only if you've taught
Emacs which font contains that character (by default, Emacs does not
have very sophisticated rules for choosing fonts for Unicode Plane 1
characters):

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x1D400 . #x1D7FF) (font-spec
:family "MathematicalAlphanumericSymbolFont"))

... including whatever else is necessary to uniquely identify that font
in the font-spec (eg. you might need registry and/or foundry if there
are other fonts with the same family name installed).

* Re: Fraktur
@ 2009-01-10 14:49 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-01-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs], Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraktur_(typeface)
>
> Nothing new or surprising. Since I am German I have to know Fraktur
> and Blackadder, äh: Blackletter.

Ein Echter Deutscher ?

@ 2009-01-16  4:05   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-01-16  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: alinsoar, help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

In article <496791C2.8030308@gnu.org>, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> A. Soare wrote:
> > I try to use the german Fraktur, and I tried
> >
> > (standard-display-ascii ?a  (vector (decode-char 'ucs #x1D400)))
> >
> > , however the unicode character is not present. I see a box instead of the german `A`; Is there a possibility to use Fraktur in emacs?
> >

> Only in Emacs-23 (from CVS), and then probably only if you've taught
> Emacs which font contains that character (by default, Emacs does not
> have very sophisticated rules for choosing fonts for Unicode Plane 1
> characters):

The rule Emacs currently has for choosing a font for Unicode
Plane 1 is to find a font supporting a scpecifc script.  For
instance, U+1D400 belongs to `mathematical' script, so Emacs
searches fonts supporting that script. And, xft font-backend
uses `script-representative-chars' to do such searching.  Ad
the representative charcters of `mathematical' is U+1D400,
xft font-backend searches fonts that support U+1D400.

How does the font-backend for Windows searches fonts for a
specific script?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Fraktur
@ 2009-01-17  0:38     ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2009-01-17  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: alinsoar, help-gnu-emacs, Jason Rumney, emacs-devel

Handa> The rule Emacs currently has for choosing a font for Unicode
Handa> Plane 1 is to find a font supporting a scpecifc script.  For
Handa> instance, U+1D400 belongs to `mathematical' script, so Emacs
Handa> searches fonts supporting that script. And, xft font-backend
Handa> uses `script-representative-chars' to do such searching.  Ad
Handa> the representative charcters of `mathematical' is U+1D400,
Handa> xft font-backend searches fonts that support U+1D400.

Because of how the font-wide hinting works, font families like DejaVu
have added the mathematical characters -- at least initially -- to
the specific faces which have similar glyphs.

Ie, the MATHEMATICAL ITALIC characters were added to the Serif-Italic,
MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF ITALIC to Sans-Oblique, etc.

As such, it would probably be a good idea for emacs to consider each
range of MATHEMATICAL characters as its own script, for the purpose
of choosing a default font.

The (sub-)families in the MATHEMATICAL block would be:

  MATHEMATICAL BOLD
  MATHEMATICAL ITALIC
  MATHEMATICAL BOLD ITALIC
  MATHEMATICAL SCRIPT
  MATHEMATICAL BOLD SCRIPT
  MATHEMATICAL FRAKTUR
  MATHEMATICAL DOUBLE-STRUCK
  MATHEMATICAL BOLD FRAKTUR
  MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF
  MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF BOLD
  MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF ITALIC
  MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF BOLD ITALIC
  MATHEMATICAL MONOSPACE

It /may/ also be necessary to diferentiate between latin and greek in
those ranges, but I suspect not.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: Fraktur
@ 2009-02-05  6:25       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-05  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: alinsoar, help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel, jasonr

Sorry for the late responce on this matter.

In article <m3r6326a10.fsf@lugabout.jhcloos.org>, James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> Because of how the font-wide hinting works, font families like DejaVu
> have added the mathematical characters -- at least initially -- to
> the specific faces which have similar glyphs.

> Ie, the MATHEMATICAL ITALIC characters were added to the Serif-Italic,
> MATHEMATICAL SANS-SERIF ITALIC to Sans-Oblique, etc.

> As such, it would probably be a good idea for emacs to consider each
> range of MATHEMATICAL characters as its own script, for the purpose
> of choosing a default font.

> The (sub-)families in the MATHEMATICAL block would be:

>   MATHEMATICAL BOLD
>   MATHEMATICAL ITALIC
>   MATHEMATICAL BOLD ITALIC
>   MATHEMATICAL SCRIPT