* A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-14 14:47 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-01-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

How about if we direct most debbugs command and ack mail to a separate
list?  People who want to see those messages could do so by
subscribing to both lists, and people who don't want to see them
(including me) could be on emacs-devel alone.

As for messages from humans discussing the bug,
we would still send them to emacs-devel.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-14 16:55 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-14 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> How about if we direct most debbugs command and ack mail to a separate
> list?  People who want to see those messages could do so by
> subscribing to both lists, and people who don't want to see them
> (including me) could be on emacs-devel alone.

This is already done. The "separate list" is emacs-bug-tracker @ gnu.
This receives debbugs command and ack mail. "Normal" bug mails go to
bug-gnu-emacs, as always.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-bug-tracker/

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15  4:23   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

If you're saying that you personally want less mail from it, you can
add a header

to any of your mails that go to bug-gnu-emacs/emacs-pretest-bugs. I use
it all the time.

(Perhaps we should change the defaults in this regard? Only ack for new
reports and closed reports, not for information sent to existing
reports?)

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15  6:01     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-01-15  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> (Perhaps we should change the defaults in this regard? Only ack for new
> reports and closed reports, not for information sent to existing
> reports?)

That would be fine by me.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15  7:49 ` alin.s
From: alin.s @ 2010-01-15  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Concerning Emacs discussions lists, I would be interested first of all about
a forum IDENTICAL to a forum in which one discusses the solutions of
exercises from SICP.

Such a forum, to discuss only about Emacs Lisp problems, does not exist.
Neither for SICP does not exist an ideal one.

I am subscribed at emacs-devel, I receive thousands of messages, but I do
not read them, I am not interested about 99% of them.

Here is a post that would be ideal for such a forum :
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3467.

@ 2010-01-15 10:52   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-01-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    This is already done. The "separate list" is emacs-bug-tracker @ gnu.
    This receives debbugs command and ack mail. "Normal" bug mails go to
    bug-gnu-emacs, as always.

But I still get messages saying that a bug has been marked closed.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15 16:58     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> But I still get messages saying that a bug has been marked closed.

Yes, you're right. I haven't got this working quite how I would like yet.

I filed this reminder:

I think _some_ notification of a -done message needs to go to
bug-gnu-emacs. I would like to make it so that a mail sent to 123-done
appears on bug-gnu-emacs exactly like a mail sent to 123, ie without all
the extra boilerplate text around it that it currently has. But I
haven't implemented this yet.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15 17:05       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

PS in the meantime you may simply discard messages matching the header

if these are of no interest at all to you.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15 21:05       ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-01-15 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I don't know if this is related, but I'm not getting mail to moderate
from debbugs-submit.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15 21:36     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-01-15 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    If you're saying that you personally want less mail from it, you can
    add a header

    to any of your mails that go to bug-gnu-emacs/emacs-pretest-bugs. I use
    it all the time.

I have a feeling we are not talking about the same thing.
The messages I'm talking about have nothing to do with me.

Now I see -- those messages are being sent to emacs-bug-tracker, not
emacs-devel.  I don't look at them closely, I just type d, so I had
not noticed that before.  I will just get myself removed from
emacs-bug-tracker.

Thanks to whoever set up a separate list for this.

* missing moderation messages [was Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?]
@ 2010-01-15 21:48         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Sean Sieger wrote:

> I don't know if this is related, but I'm not getting mail to moderate
> from debbugs-submit.

It's not related.

It seems that around the time the last moderation message went out
(11.30PST), /etc/aliases was changed to add:

debbugs-submit-owner: /dev/null

I'm not sure this works, because /var/log/exim4/mainlog now contains
many lines of the form:

  /dev/null <debbugs-submit-owner@debbugs.gnu.org> R=system_aliases defer
  (-30): file_transport unset in system_aliases router

Perhaps :blackhole: is better?

Either or both method may have the unintended side-effect of exim simply
throwing away all outgoing mail destined for debbugs-submit-owner, and
not bothering to send it to the cc's either. Hence we get no moderation
messages at all.

The web interface still works.

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-15 22:07           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

I tweaked the exim config, maybe it will work next time there is a
moderation message...

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-15 23:18             ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-01-15 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    I tweaked the exim config, maybe it will work next time there is a
    moderation message...

I haven't seen a mail in mine or the web interface in a couple hours.
Um, spam or otherwise.

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-15 23:22             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

No, it still doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what's wrong with
it. Sending a mail by hand to debbugs-submit-owner and another address
works fine. Maybe that was never the issue.

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-15 23:24               ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-15 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sean Sieger wrote:

> I haven't seen a mail in mine or the web interface in a couple hours.
> Um, spam or otherwise.

The web interface is definitely working, if you get there fast enough!
:)

email still isn't working.

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-15 23:30                 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-01-15 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    The web interface is definitely working, if you get there fast enough!
    :)

Yes, you made me giggle.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-15 23:33         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2010-01-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

   PS in the meantime you may simply discard messages matching the header

   if these are of no interest at all to you.

How do you discard these messages ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-16  0:39           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-01-16  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Sean Sieger, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> It's not related.
>
> It seems that around the time the last moderation message went out
> (11.30PST), /etc/aliases was changed to add:
>
> debbugs-submit-owner: /dev/null

Yeah, that was me.  I was getting bounce messages saying that
debbugs-submit-owner does not exist.  I will remove that line for now,
until we can figure out whether this

> Either or both method may have the unintended side-effect of exim simply
> throwing away all outgoing mail destined for debbugs-submit-owner, and
> not bothering to send it to the cc's either. Hence we get no moderation
> messages at all.

is happening...

* Re: missing moderation messages
@ 2010-01-16  1:01             ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-01-16  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    I will remove that line for now,

Awesome.  I'm getting mail and seeing 'em at the interface.

* Re: A separate mailing list for most bug report ticket mail?
@ 2010-01-16  1:57           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-01-16  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-devel

Xavier Maillard wrote:

>    PS in the meantime you may simply discard messages matching the header

>    if these are of no interest at all to you.
>
> How do you discard these messages ?

Use whatever tool you prefer to automatically filter messages based on
their contents. For example, on fencepost you can create a ~/.procmailrc
file with contents something like:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
UMASK=077