On 6/19/21 8:24 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote: >>> Sure. To be more precise: what I propose is not applying >>> font-lock-type-face to symbols when we think that symbol is a type solely >>> because it's been entered into cc-mode's table of dynamically discovered >>> types for the current buffer. >> OK, I'll make a trial implementation of this, controlled by a user option >> to switch it on and off. Give me just a little time. > Would you please try the following, setting the new user option to nil, > and let me know how well it meets expectations. Thanks! > > > diff -r 92a4592886a1 cc-engine.el > --- a/cc-engine.el Sun Apr 25 17:26: Thanks. This patch is an improvement in the sense that there's more consistency in fontification. cc-mode is still very inconsistent in fontification though. Take a look at the attached screenshot, which is of this program: void deallocate_one_arg(void* const ptr_to_arg,                    MethodProgramPc& pc); void deallocate_one_arg(void* const ptr_to_arg,                    MethodProgramPc& pc); I'm confused about why "MethodProgramPc" is fontified as a type in the first prototype but not the second. I still wish we had a general-purpose mechanism for ensuring that problems like this didn't happen.