Eli Zaretskii wrote: > when geometry is non-zero, x and y are > initialized. And that means the initializations "x = 0, y = 0" were indeed unnecessary. The code works just fine without those initializations, because the values of x and y are not examined unless XParseGeometry has successfully set them. Newer GCC is smart enough to figure this out, at least with the default optimizations. Other platforms evidently aren't smart enough. > If we > want this to be abundantly clear, we should have a comment there to > the above effect. Sure, I installed the attached.