* find-file completion
@ 2007-03-20 15:10 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

1. C-x C-f

2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>

=> Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub

In *Completions* press the mouse on  subr.el

Result: /gnu/emacssubr.el

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-20 15:39 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-03-20 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> 1. C-x C-f
>
> 2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>
>
> => Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub
>
> In *Completions* press the mouse on  subr.el
>
> Result: /gnu/emacssubr.el

Please report bugs using M-x report-emacs-bug.

It doesn't happen for me when I start emacs -Q on GNU/Linux.

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21  0:42 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-21  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

    1. C-x C-f

    2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>

    => Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub

What I get is a message
minibuffer-complete: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/lisp/

Would you please supply a complete, self-contained test case?
Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual for guidelines.

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 10:14 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

>     1. C-x C-f
>
>     2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>
>
>     => Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub
>
> What I get is a message
> minibuffer-complete: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/lisp/
>
> Would you please supply a complete, self-contained test case?
> Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual for guidelines.

To me emacs is installed in /gnu/emacs.

Please change /g/e/lisp/sub with the letters from your local path to emacs.

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 10:17 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-03-21 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: rms, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

>>     1. C-x C-f
>>
>>     2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>
>>
>>     => Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub
>>
>> What I get is a message
>> minibuffer-complete: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /g/e/lisp/
>>
>> Would you please supply a complete, self-contained test case?
>> Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual for guidelines.
>
> To me emacs is installed in /gnu/emacs.
>
> Please change /g/e/lisp/sub with the letters from your local path to emacs.

You might be using something akin to partial-completion-mode.

Please provide a problem report starting from emacs -Q so that others
have a chance to reproduce it.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 10:21 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Message du 20/03/07 à 16h44
> De : "Kim F. Storm" <storm@cua.dk>
> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Objet : Re: find-file completion
>
> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:
>
> > 1. C-x C-f
> >
> > 2. /g/e/lisp/sub <TAB>
> >
> > => Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub
> >
> > In *Completions* press the mouse on  subr.el
> >
> > Result: /gnu/emacssubr.el
>

> Please report bugs using M-x report-emacs-bug.
>
> It doesn't happen for me when I start emacs -Q on GNU/Linux.

I should have said <M-TAB> instead of TAB. With TAB it looks for path completion. With M-TAB it looks for elisp symbols. There is no sense I believe to look for elisp symbols in this case...

Alin Soare.

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 10:34 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Ouf... What is so difficult to reproduce such a simple problem?

A. in shell:

1. mkdir -p /gnu/

2. ln -s <your-local-path-to your emacs installation> /gnu/

B. in emacs:

3. M-x partial-completion-mode <RET>

=> partial-completion-mode on

4. C-x C-f

Find file: /g/e/lisp/sub    <TAB>

=> Find file: /gnu/emacs/lisp/sub

and a window containing verbatim this text:

  Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
  In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

  Possible completions are:
  subdirs.el			   subr.el

5. SELECT WITH THE MOUSE subr.el

Result: emacssubr.el file is completed in Find file and opened.

Alin Soare.

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 11:44 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-03-21 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> Ouf... What is so difficult to reproduce such a simple problem?

Well, your step 3 was NOT mentioned in your mails about this
problem, so how were we to know?

> 3. M-x partial-completion-mode <RET>

..

> 5. SELECT WITH THE MOUSE subr.el
>
> Result: emacssubr.el file is completed in Find file and opened.

Still doesn't fail for me.

I think it was fixed by this recent change:

2007-03-10  Martin Rudalics  <rudalics@gmx.at>

	* complete.el (PC-do-completion): Bind dirlength to nil to avoid
	that buffer contents get erased during completion.

Another merit of using M-x report-emacs-bug is that it
includes the version and build-time of your Emacs.

But even if you have updated your emacs from CVS recently,
are you sure that complete.el has been byte-compiled?

* Re: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 11:57 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-21 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> 2007-03-10  Martin Rudalics  <rudalics@gmx.at>
>
> 	* complete.el (PC-do-completion): Bind dirlength to nil to avoid
> 	that buffer contents get erased during completion.

Well, today (in this evening) I will recompile emacs and I will tell you if my error was just this one.

I compiled it 2 weeks ago, and maybe this patch was not included.

Alin Soare

* RE: find-file completion
@ 2007-03-21 13:47 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-21 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> I should have said <M-TAB> instead of TAB. With TAB it looks for
> path completion. With M-TAB it looks for elisp symbols. There is
> no sense I believe to look for elisp symbols in this case...

M-TAB should complete to a symbol, IMO. It is quite OK to have / in Lisp
symbol names.

Perhaps some special mode or library such as ffap might provide an option
for M-TAB to interpret possible file names (or URLs or...) instead of
symbols, but I think that M-TAB should simply complete symbols, by default.