* Emacs 25.1 RC1 - some issues
@ 2016-07-29 10:30 Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2016-07-29 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Good morning,

I just switched (maybe too soon) to Emacs 25.1 RC1.

I am experiencing problems with eieio.

I noticed some issues.

The first one is that font lock is too slow to activate, I have to
turn off and then on the mode to get proper source decoration (java,
scala, emacs lisp)

Then I get the error:

completion--some: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio-make
-class-predicate [2 times]

when I try to load a file from a remote machine via ssh (key
authentication) and when I try to launch jde-mode I get

typep: Invalid function: class-p

How should I report these problems properly? Is this message enough?

Thank you both in advance (for handling this message) and for all the
past Emacs work.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO

* Re: Emacs 25.1 RC1 - some issues
@ 2016-07-29 11:55 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-07-29 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: saint, emacs-devel

Gian Uberto Lauri <saint@eng.it> writes:

> The first one is that font lock is too slow to activate, I have to
> turn off and then on the mode to get proper source decoration (java,
> scala, emacs lisp)

I do not experience issue with any major-mode, including
emacs-lisp-mode.  Does it also happen when starting Emacs with `emacs
-Q'?

> completion--some: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio-make
> -class-predicate [2 times]

I cannot reproduce it either.  Could you provide a recipe to reproduce
this, starting with `emacs -Q' as well?

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs 25.1 RC1 - some issues
@ 2016-07-29 12:50   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2016-07-29 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: saint, emacs-devel

My fault. I had an old CEDET lurking in site-lisp. My fault.

--

@ 2016-07-29 12:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-07-29 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> The first one is that font lock is too slow to activate, I have to
> turn off and then on the mode to get proper source decoration (java,
> scala, emacs lisp)

Please make it a proper bug report with as much info as possible to
diagnostic/reproduce it.

> completion--some: Symbol’s function definition is void: eieio-make
> -class-predicate [2 times]
[...]
> typep: Invalid function: class-p

Please try and give us a backtrace by enabling "Options => Enter
Debugger on Error".

There's a chance this is due to the fact that Emacs-25 breaks
binary compatibility with EIEIO.  More specifically, a package using
EIEIO and compiled with Emacs<25 won't work on Emacs-25 until you
recompile it (after which it won't work with Emacs<25 either).

* Re: Emacs 25.1 RC1 - some issues
@ 2016-07-29 13:00   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2016-07-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> The first one is that font lock is too slow to activate, I have to
>> turn off and then on the mode to get proper source decoration
>> (java, scala, emacs lisp)

SM> Please make it a proper bug report with as much info as possible
SM> to diagnostic/reproduce it.

SM> There's a chance this is due to the fact that Emacs-25 breaks
SM> binary compatibility with EIEIO.  More specifically, a package
SM> using EIEIO and compiled with Emacs<25 won't work on Emacs-25
SM> until you recompile it (after which it won't work with Emacs<25
SM> either).

I could say that your supposition holds.

I had an old CEDET subtree in site-lisp and that bytecode is quite
old.

Since CEDET is a builtin now, I removed my version and now everything
goes fine.

--

@ 2016-07-29 18:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-07-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

SM> There's a chance this is due to the fact that Emacs-25 breaks
SM> binary compatibility with EIEIO.  More specifically, a package
SM> using EIEIO and compiled with Emacs<25 won't work on Emacs-25
SM> until you recompile it (after which it won't work with Emacs<25
SM> either).

> I could say that your supposition holds.
> I had an old CEDET subtree in site-lisp and that bytecode is quite
> old.
> Since CEDET is a builtin now, I removed my version and now everything
> goes fine.

Hmm... maybe it's a bit late to do that, but maybe it would make sense
to add code to EIEIO which tries to catch those old uses and emit a more
friendly/helpful message (it's actually difficult to fix it
automatically, so I don't think we can hope to do that).

I know there are cases where the error is "uncatchable", tho, so we'd
first have to see exactly how the error manifests in your case (i.e. at
least the full backtrace) to have a better view of how to attack
the problems and whether it's worth the trouble.