* Emacs-25: stop-process  has no effect on linux
@ 2015-12-21 16:29 raman
From: raman @ 2015-12-21 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is Emacs 25 built from Git @head.

delete-process and interrupt-process work as expected, but
stop-process appears to be a no up -- tested with both
process-connection-type let-bound to nil and t.

* Re: Emacs-25: stop-process  has no effect on linux
@ 2015-12-21 17:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-21 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: raman@google.com
> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 08:29:37 -0800
>

> This is Emacs 25 built from Git @head.
>
> delete-process and interrupt-process work as expected, but
> stop-process appears to be a no up -- tested with both
> process-connection-type let-bound to nil and t.

Can you show what did you try, exactly, and with what program as the
sub-process?

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs-25: stop-process  has no effect on linux
@ 2015-12-21 17:15   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2015-12-21 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

Here is a simple test:

(setq proc
      (let ((process-connection-type nil)); also tried with t
(start-process "play" "Play" "play" ; play is from sox
<myfile.mp3>)))
(process-status proc) -- run if it worked
(stop-process proc) -- no-op
(delete-process proc) ; kills it

The same happens if you substitute play with mplayer.

@ 2015-12-21 17:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: raman@google.com (T.V Raman)
> Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:15:07 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Here is a simple test:
>
> (setq proc
>       (let ((process-connection-type nil)); also tried with t
> (start-process "play" "Play" "play" ; play is from sox
> <myfile.mp3>)))
> (process-status proc) -- run if it worked
> (stop-process proc) -- no-op
> (delete-process proc) ; kills it
>
> The same happens if you substitute play with mplayer.

Could it be that these two programs catch and ignore SIGTSTP?  That's
the signal sent by stop-process.  Can you stop them with "kill -TSTP"
from the shell prompt?

* Re: Emacs-25: stop-process  has no effect on linux
@ 2015-12-21 17:38       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2015-12-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

Yes, I verified that before reporting the issue -- C-c C-z in a shell
running either play or mplayer works, they also respond correctly to
being resumed at the shell by typing "fg" or "bg"

@ 2015-12-22 19:19         ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-12-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

> Yes, I verified that before reporting the issue -- C-c C-z in a shell
> running either play or mplayer works, they also respond correctly to being
> resumed at the shell by typing "fg" or "bg"

Can you please log a bug on this, and copy the relevant details from this
discussion into that bug. I feel much more comfortable about discussing issues
under a ticket number, than possibly losing track of them here on emacs-devel.