* Request for policy ruling - dropping Arch support fom VC?
@ 2014-12-05 23:12 Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-12-05 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I don't know what the project policy is on supporting modes for software that
has been end-of-lifed.  Now I need to know.

Michael Albinus has been working on a test framework for VC.  In the
process, we've discovered that the Arch register method is busted.
I'm pretty sure I didn't do this with my recent changes to VC, that
the arch backend had bitrotted due to changes in Arch.

Arch has been end-of-lifed by its author.  I think I have better
things to do than chase a backward-compatibility problem in a mode for
a VCS that (unlike RCS or SCCS) probably hasn't seen live use in a
decade. Therefore I'd like to solve this problem the simple way, by
dropping Arch support.

What is policy on this sort of thing?

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as
the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral
check against usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally,
even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist
and triumph over them."
        -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court