* emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-01-31 15:11 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2014-01-31 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Could we update the interactive calling spec for
frameset-to-register
from
(interactive "cFrameset to register: \nP")

(interactive (list (register-read-with-preview
		      "Frame configuration to register: ")
		     current-prefix-arg))

This would save me having to explicitly advice the calling spec
for that command in Emacspeak.  It would also align the code with frame-configuration-to-register

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-01 23:04 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-02-01 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V. Raman, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM, T. V. Raman <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could we update the interactive calling spec for
> frameset-to-register
> (interactive (list (register-read-with-preview
>                       "Frame configuration to register: ")
>                      current-prefix-arg))

Not exactly a bug fix. OK to install during the freeze, Stefan?

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-02  2:28   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-02  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers

> Not exactly a bug fix. OK to install during the freeze, Stefan?

Borderline, indeed, but my mood tells to let it slide, so go for it,

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-02  2:46     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-02-02  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers

> Borderline, indeed, but my mood tells to let it slide, so go for it,

Thanks. Small problem: we already have five "tiny change" patches from
T. V. Raman.  Quite likely this will push him over the 10-lines limit.

2011-04-08  T. V. Raman  <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com>  (tiny change)

        * xml.c (parse_region): Avoid creating spurious whitespace nodes.

2010-10-24  T. V. Raman  <tv.raman.tv@gmail.com>  (tiny change)

        * net/mairix.el (mairix-searches-mode-map):
        * mail/mspools.el (mspools-mode-map): Fix 2010-10-10 change.

2008-11-13  T. V. Raman  <raman@users.sourceforge.net>  (tiny change)

        * files.el (project-settings-file): New variable.
        (project-find-settings-file): Use it, instead of hardcoding
        .dir.settings.el.

2008-10-07  T. V. Raman  <raman@users.sourceforge.net>  (tiny change)

        * json.el (json-advance): Use forward-char.
        (json-skip-whitespace): Use skip-syntax-forward.

2007-08-17  T. V. Raman  <raman@users.sf.net>  (tiny change)

        * completion.el (symbol-under-point, symbol-before-point)
        (symbol-before-point-for-complete): Use buffer-substring-no-properties.

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-02  4:35       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2014-02-02  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Stefan Monnier, Emacs developers

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. Small problem: we already have five "tiny change" patches from
> T. V. Raman.  Quite likely this will push him over the 10-lines limit.

The limit is "15 or so":
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Legally-Significant.html#Legally-Significant

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-02  6:13         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-02-02  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Stefan Monnier, Emacs developers

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> The limit is "15 or so":

Fair enough, but I haven't checked each of his changes to count the
exact number of lines. Over five tiny patches, seems like it's time to
get papers, I think.

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-03  0:42           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-03  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero
  Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

I independently came to the conclusion that this needed doing as part of
documenting NEWS changes, so was able to do it myself in good
conscience, thus side-stepping the assignment issue (till the next time,
so I still recommend addressing it).

Why does this function take an optional argument it does not use?

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-03  0:49             ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-02-03  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> Why does this function take an optional argument it does not use?

Compatibility with frame-configuration-to-register, IIRC.

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-03  0:53               ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-03  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero
  Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Why does this function take an optional argument it does not use?
>
> Compatibility with frame-configuration-to-register, IIRC.

Why does the arg-spec have to be compatible? They are not aliases.

Also, frame-configuration-to-register does not use its second arg
either...

* Re: emacspeak request: please update interactive spec for frameset-to-register
@ 2014-02-03  1:02                 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-02-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: T.V. Raman, Emacs developers, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> Why does the arg-spec have to be compatible? They are not aliases.
>
> Also, frame-configuration-to-register does not use its second arg
> either...

I bound frameset-to-register replacing
frame-configuration-to-register, so I just copied the profile. Call it
a bit of FUD; I was busy with frameset.el and wasn't really interested
in looking too much at the innards of register.el.

If you think that's unnecessary, feel free to fix it (modulo the
freeze and Stefan's opinion).