* Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-12 16:43 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-01-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S. Raymond; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eric,

Please make a point not to make any changes on the trunk during the
feature freeze that do not fix a clear bug.  When in doubt, please ask
here first, and please allow ample time for people to respond.  Please
also keep in mind that, as long as the release branch was not cut,
_any_ change you make on the trunk will wind up in the next release
24.4.  So things that will only become true after that release cannot
yet be committed, even if we were not in feature freeze, because they
are simply incorrect as of yet.

I reverted your commit esr@thyrsus.com-20140112153723-5wq3a3ge8msgypj2
(revision 115994), because it removed information about the Emacs bzr
repository, something that should still be in the sources when we
release v24.4.

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-12 17:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-01-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: emacs-devel

One more thing: etc/PROBLEMS is not meant to be used for problems that
should be solved by us as part of Emacs maintenance.  For those
issues, we use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", which files a report with
the Emacs bug tracker at http://debbugs.gnu.org.  etc/PROBLEMS is for
known problems that we cannot possibly fix in Emacs, like bugs in
certain versions of certain compilers, or on some OSes, etc.

Thanks.

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-12 18:08   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-01-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
> One more thing: etc/PROBLEMS is not meant to be used for problems that
> should be solved by us as part of Emacs maintenance.  For those
> issues, we use "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", which files a report with
> the Emacs bug tracker at http://debbugs.gnu.org.  etc/PROBLEMS is for
> known problems that we cannot possibly fix in Emacs, like bugs in
> certain versions of certain compilers, or on some OSes, etc.
>
> Thanks.

That's a useful clarification, thank you.  Where should ptroblems to
be fixed during normal maintainence be recorded?

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-12 18:10     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-01-12 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:08:19 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Where should ptroblems to be fixed during normal maintainence be
> recorded?

In the debbugs bug tracker, report-emacs-bug will create a new bug
report for you.

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-13  2:34 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-01-13  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> When in doubt, please ask here first, and please allow ample time for
> people to respond.

BTW, this means several days (IIRC, rms used to say a week).

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-13  8:49   ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2014-01-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > When in doubt, please ask here first, and please allow ample time for
> > people to respond.
>
> BTW, this means several days (IIRC, rms used to say a week).

Sorry if it looks like I am being impatient, but I just want to
make sure that this doesn't slip through the cracks for this release:

Sujith

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-13  9:04     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-01-13  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sujith Manoharan; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Sujith Manoharan <sujith@msujith.org> writes:

> Sorry if it looks like I am being impatient, but I just want to
> make sure that this doesn't slip through the cracks for this release:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16422

Don't panic :-)

This bug report has severity "important", by definition it gets enough
attention before a release.

> Sujith

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Changes during feature freeze
@ 2014-01-15  7:43       ` Sujith Manoharan
From: Sujith Manoharan @ 2014-01-15  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Eric S. Raymond, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:
> > Sorry if it looks like I am being impatient, but I just want to
> > make sure that this doesn't slip through the cracks for this release:
> >
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16422
>
> Don't panic :-)
>
> This bug report has severity "important", by definition it gets enough
> attention before a release.

Ok. Thanks. :)

SUjith