* How to make custom REPL work in ansi-term?
@ 2024-01-08 15:16 Jakub T. Jankiewicz
From: Jakub T. Jankiewicz @ 2024-01-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I was asking similar question long ago, I'm not able to find replies on my
mailbox but found a reference on question on Stack Overflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/61300784/387194

The problem is that my REPL written in NodeJS doesn't work in Emacs
ansi-term, you can use arrow keys for navigation and history.

The same happen with native nodeJS command line. When moving cursor it add
escape sequences to the input. NodeJS doesn't use readline library only it's
own implementation written in JavaScript that's probbaly not 100% compatible
with real readline.

Is there something that NodeJS can do to fix the issue. Or maybe you can give
me a pointers on what to search for in other to fix the issue. I may look into
the source code and fix the issue.

--
Jakub T. Jankiewicz, Senior Front-End Developer
https://jcubic.pl/me

* Re: How to make custom REPL work in ansi-term?
@ 2024-01-08 18:30 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2024-01-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub T. Jankiewicz; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hi Jakub,
can you check if your REPL works in vterm and in eat? I use REPLs in Emacs
a lot - see:
  http://anggtwu.net/eepitch.html
and there are a few programs that don't run well in ansi-term but that do
in vterm...
  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs

@ 2024-01-08 20:00   ` Jakub T. Jankiewicz
From: Jakub T. Jankiewicz @ 2024-01-08 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: Emacs developers

No it doesn't work in vterm. I got the same error + backspace don't remove
the text. Recently I've found that in fact backspace in Terminal only move the
cursor backwards and to clear the text you need to insert space. It seems
that this is what vterm is doing. I made the same mistake with my ansi code
interpreter.