* problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-13  4:09 Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2022-01-13  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When trying to use XIM (Emacs*useXIM: true) with IBus with recent XT
Emacs (29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version
1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-01-04) I see that emacs does not
respond to some xkb input methods:
e.g.
 - ibus engine xkb:in:san-kagapa:san  Sanskrit (KaGaPa phonetic)
or  xkb:il::heb - Hebrew

For the purpose of this test, m17n input methods seem to work: e.g.
ibus engine  m17n:he:kbd

Can anyone else see this?  (Frankly I don't understand this stuff,
earlier, typically it was the m17n input methods that would not work, or
nothing would work, or some would work under gnome-shell/flashback but
not on plain X - and i put those down to bugs in ibus.  But perhaps this
is a recent regression)

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-13  4:55 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-13  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> When trying to use XIM (Emacs*useXIM: true) with IBus with recent XT
> Emacs (29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version
> 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-01-04) I see that emacs does not
> respond to some xkb input methods:
> e.g.
>  - ibus engine xkb:in:san-kagapa:san  Sanskrit (KaGaPa phonetic)
> or  xkb:il::heb - Hebrew
>
> For the purpose of this test, m17n input methods seem to work: e.g.
> ibus engine  m17n:he:kbd
>
> Can anyone else see this?  (Frankly I don't understand this stuff,
> earlier, typically it was the m17n input methods that would not work, or
> nothing would work, or some would work under gnome-shell/flashback but
> not on plain X - and i put those down to bugs in ibus.  But perhaps this
> is a recent regression)

What do you mean by "does not respond"?  Also, is that an XInput 2
build?

Thanks.

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-13 13:21   ` Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2022-01-13 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:
>> When trying to use XIM (Emacs*useXIM: true) with IBus with recent XT
>> Emacs (29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version
>> 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-01-04) I see that emacs does not
>> respond to some xkb input methods:
>> e.g.
>>  - ibus engine xkb:in:san-kagapa:san  Sanskrit (KaGaPa phonetic)
>> or  xkb:il::heb - Hebrew
>>
>> For the purpose of this test, m17n input methods seem to work: e.g.
>> ibus engine  m17n:he:kbd
>
> What do you mean by "does not respond"?

That's a tough one - Switching the input method does not switch the
input method - with xkb:il::heb if i type `a' i expect `ש' to be
produced but I still get an `a'

> Also, is that an XInput 2 build?

Yes. I tried --without-xinput2 build with configured features FREETYPE
GMP JSON LIBXML2 NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP X11 XFT XIM LUCID, and
switching the input methods to xkb input methods work there.

I can file a bug report if you let me know

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-13 13:29     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> That's a tough one - Switching the input method does not switch the
> input method - with xkb:il::heb if i type `a' i expect `ש' to be
> produced but I still get an `a'

Interesting.  Is the correct input method applied when you restart
Emacs?

And if so, can you please set a breakpoint here, in this snippet of
xterm.c:

      if (event->type == dpyinfo->xkb_event_type)
	{
	  XkbEvent *xkbevent = (XkbEvent *) event;

	  if (xkbevent->any.xkb_type == XkbNewKeyboardNotify
	      || xkbevent->any.xkb_type == XkbMapNotify)
	    {
	      if (dpyinfo->xkb_desc)
		{
		  if (XkbGetUpdatedMap (dpyinfo->display,
					(XkbKeySymsMask
					 | XkbKeyTypesMask
					 | XkbModifierMapMask
					 | XkbVirtualModsMask),
					dpyinfo->xkb_desc) == Success)
		    {
--->		      XkbGetNames (dpyinfo->display,
				   XkbGroupNamesMask | XkbVirtualModNamesMask,
				   dpyinfo->xkb_desc);
		    }
		  else
		    {
		      XkbFreeKeyboard (dpyinfo->xkb_desc, XkbAllComponentsMask, True);
		      dpyinfo->xkb_desc = NULL;
		    }

		  x_find_modifier_meanings (dpyinfo);
		}
	    }
	}

And see if it is hit by you switching input methods?  Thanks in advance.

> Yes. I tried --without-xinput2 build with configured features FREETYPE
> GMP JSON LIBXML2 NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER SECCOMP X11 XFT XIM LUCID, and
> switching the input methods to xkb input methods work there.
>
> I can file a bug report if you let me know

Sure, make sure to add me to the X-Debbugs-Cc header.  You can read more
about that here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/Reporting.html#xcc

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-14  0:53       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-14  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Sure, make sure to add me to the X-Debbugs-Cc header.  You can read more
> about that here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/Reporting.html#xcc

Before you do that, please try master.  I tried to fix it there.

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-14  1:18         ` Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2022-01-14  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: emacs-devel

*  Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> <87tue7gmsd.fsf@yahoo.com>
Wrote on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 08:53:54 +0800
> Before you do that, please try master.  I tried to fix it there.

commit 83ae392d592 on master does fix the reported problem.  Thanks!

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-14  2:08           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-14  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:

> commit 83ae392d592 on master does fix the reported problem.  Thanks!

Great, thanks for testing.

* Re: problem with ibus + XIM with emacs XT ?
@ 2022-01-14  5:00             ` Madhu
From: Madhu @ 2022-01-14  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Po Lu <87k0f3gjc7.fsf@yahoo.com> :
Wrote on Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:08:24 +0800:
> Madhu <enometh@meer.net> writes:
>> commit 83ae392d592 on master does fix the reported problem.  Thanks!
> Great, thanks for testing.

I *think* it fixed the problem - but I can't be sure.  I'm not seeing
reliable reproducible results with input method switching (not just with
emacs but with other XIM apps)

Thed fix isn't xi2 specific, and I'd really like to hear from someone
else who uses ibus and emacs-xt