On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 08:52:38PM -0700, Eric Abrahamsen wrote: > > On 09/27/21 18:34 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > > What is a PEG? > > A Parsing Expression Grammar: > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing_expression_grammar > > Basically a way of composing a parser out of smaller regexp-like > expressions. They can be very useful in a wide variety of situations. In the Chomsky hierarchy, they live in some funny place between regular (Type-3) and context free (Type-2). They are strictly more powerful than regular grammars (but can eat memory for breakfast [1], but (quoting the Wikipedia ref above: "It is an open problem to give a concrete example of a context-free language which cannot be recognized by a parsing expression grammar." I don't know at the moment whether there is a (non-constructive) proof that CFGs be strictly more expressive than PEGs? Cheers [1] Memory has become significantly cheaper since Thompson, this might have a practical significance or not ;-) - t