On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 10:45:19PM +0100, João Távora wrote: > Alan Mackenzie writes: > > > Actually, it was just 111, not 293. Sorry. > > Are you familiar with the GitHub platform? It's averse to the FSF and > software freedom in some ways, but it also hosts much source code and > has a moderately useful search tool for code "in the wild". > > Here's a pertinent search "self-insert-command": > > https://github.com/search?p=6&q=self-insert-command&type=Code > > It lists almost 83 thousand hits in emacs lisp, many in forks of Emacs, It may well be that those numbers are inflated by the fact that Github emphasises fork for things one would just do a branch (or just a local clone which then languishes unproductively). This emphasis on fork is probably fueled by Github's marketing strategy "We haz 329 gazillions repozitoriez!1!!. Which at some point handsomely paid off. IOW, I'd say many "forks" in Github have probably never seen a compile, let alone an install. Those can't produce bug reports. Watch the denominator in your statistics ;-) Cheers - t