On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 11:11:00PM +0200, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Philip Kaludercic writes: > > > The reason I use rx in a lot of my scripts is that I can add comments, > > explanations, formatting, etc. when it gets complicated. I think that is > > a significant advantage, that even raw strings wouldn't have (unless a > > comment syntax were to be added into the regular expression language, > > which is unlikely). > > Perl has this: > > perl -e '$foo = "bar"; print "yes" if $foo =~ / bar # comment /x;' Yes, Perl's "extended" regexps. They are very handy for when the concise language is too cunfusing. I'd tend to the position that this "ecological niche" is already (very well) covered by `rx'. But I am aware that this is a very subjective topic :) Cheers - t