On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 10:41:35AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 08:57:08 +0200 > > From: > > > > For better or worse, some MUAs [1] and corporate-influenced > > workflows have trained a significant part of the population to > > top-quote. > > We encourage people not to top-post, but don't require them not to do > so. Some of them do, as you can clearly see in the archives. I know, and I know. This is generally the stragegy in other mailing lists, too. I was just pointing out how subtle factors can change the general perception of a tool. If everyone starts hammering nails with the hammer's shaft, after a while folks will start saying "hammers suck". [top quoting as an example "things which don't work"] > We generally suck it up and survive. When the fraction of these is > not too high, it is not a problem in practice. Yes. In mailing lists where it's more pronounced, I sometimes try to remind people in a friendly way, but there you go. > > On top of that, some MUAs (again, the same) don't know what a > > Message-ID is and thread based on Subject. Resulting in monster > > threads with the incredibly informative Subject "Re:". > > That's what Rmail does, and I have yet to see a significant problem > with it, let alone that it broke my workflows. You mean it doesn't honour Message-ID/In-Reply-To/and References when they are there? (Of course, in their absence it /has/ to fall back to Subject, mail systems out there are sometimes beyond broken). Cheers - t