On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 11:21:57PM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote: > Stephen Leake writes: > > >> Everyone compiling Emacs has a C compiler, but not everyone has an Ada > >> compiler. > > > > Actually, anyone that uses gcc can easily have an Ada compiler; it's > > either already there or easily installed. > > While gcc 11.2 is days away from being released, MSYS2 is stuck with gcc > 10.3 because Ada does not build [...] > Then we could discuss the wisdom of depending on a key component written > on a language with very few hackers around [...] Indeed an important point (although myself, I'm a staunch defender of diversity in software). For an example on how such a story may unfold, see the sad story of the SKS keyserver [1]. A central component of the web of trust has an important bug and nobody dares to touch it... because it's written in OCaml [2]. Cheers [1] https://csirt.cy/en/sks-keyserver-network-under-attack/ [2] Yeah, that's simplifying a bit, but the point is how utterly important "code accessibility" is in free software. - t