On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 10:47:28AM +0200, Daniele Nicolodi wrote: > On 11/06/2021 22:52, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > PS: I think we can expect 99% of Emacs users have a Javascript engine > > already installed (in the form of a web browser), > > The JS engine in a web browser and node are two very different beasts. I try to keep both of them at a safe distance, FWIW. > The main problem with node is that it is very hard to get it to work in > a self contained way that does not involve downloading JS packages from > the network. Yep. This is one of the reasons. Watching with horror some npm build process (gotta do that from time to time to earn my beans) has borne the clear decision: for me, just... no. Not in my free time, not as a voluntary project. > I also anticipate some resistance in the Emacs community on > depending on the JS ecosystem where licensing is much more "liberal" > than within the GNU project. Those "liberal" licenses could easily be re-licensed to GPL. A possible advantage is that we get to enjoy the loud whining about how that's unfair, while the whiners are usually fine with other actors taking the software proprietary ;-) (I know, I know) Cheers - t