* Question about native compilation
@ 2021-06-09 18:01 Yasuhiro Kimura
From: Yasuhiro Kimura @ 2021-06-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

At first, thank you for implementing native compilation. It's very
exciting.

Currently I'm trying to change some 3rd party emacs lisp programs so
they build and install .eln files if Emacs executable supports native
compilation. For example I would like to write Makefile such as
following.

NATIVE_COMPILE!= $(execute command to check if native compilation is supported)

all:
	emacs -q -batch -f batch-byte-compile *.el
.if ${NATIVE_COMPILE} == yes
	emacs -q -batch -f batch-native-compile *.el
.endif

install:
	install -m 644 -p *.el *.elc /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
.if ${NATIVE_COMPILE} == yes
	install -m 644 -p *.eln ${directory where 3rd party .eln files should be installed}
.endif

And I have 2 qestions about it.

1. What is the recommended way to check if executable of Emacs
   supports native compilation?
2. Is there standard place where 3rd party .eln files should be
   installed? I expect such directories as
   ${prefix}/share/emacs/site-lisp or
   ${prefix}/share/emacs/$(version)/site-lisp for .el and .elc files.

Best Regards.

---
Yasuhiro Kimura