On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 04:55:14PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote: > tomas@tuxteam.de writes: > > I replied (or so I thought) "in kind". A better reply would have > > been: Emacs supports 32 bit platforms. Unless ending 32 bit > > support is in the near-future, it'd be a good idea to think about > > how to support a wider (possibly 64 bit) time_t even on a 32 bit > > Emacs. > > The support for 64bit time_t on 32bit platforms is quite old by now > actually, but it hasn't seen as much uptake as initially envisioned for > whatever reasons. So in effect those platforms have announced their EOL > and you should move off them. > > > The *BSDs and Linux (beyond kernel 5.6ish) do support 64 bit time_t > > in their 32 bit variants: perhaps this is an orientation. > > I have no 32bit system left that can run a modern enough Linux kernel > and doesn't also support 64bit, so once I update those will not be 32bit > anymore. Again. The fact that *you* haven't doesn't mean that others are in the same boat. A maintainer's job involves exactly that kind of deliberation :) (I'd bet that Stefan's hardware is still 32 bit :) So basically it reduces to whether the Emacs project wants to support 32 bit systems (currently, the answer seems to be "yes") and what to do about time_t when yes. Cheers - t