On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:02:22PM +0100, Robert Pluim wrote: > >>>>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:23:44 +0200, Eli Zaretskii said: > > >>Specifying the position/size of a new frame seems to work ok > >> though. > > ...when using the XWayland backend. > > >> More generally, fixing this is not going to be trivial, as > >> gtk_window_move under Wayland is designed to cause us grief: > >> > >> > > Eli> If this is the Wayland protocol, then users of Wayland will expect > Eli> that, and we don't have to solve this problem. Right? > > I guess, although be prepared for a bunch of "desktop.el is broken" > bug reports, along with "my workflow with (make-frame '((top . 50) > (left . 50))) or (set-frame-position) doesnʼt work any more" > complaints as Wayland becomes more widespread. FWIW, on X the window manager also has the last word on top-level window positioning. The difference is that a user picking a WM making strong use of that "last word" knows what she's doing (tiling WMs come to mind). Wayland users, OTOH, haven't that choice, possibly they haven't the insight. Cheers - t