On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 10:44:57AM +0100, Robert Pluim wrote: [...] > > It would be better if the tests did not rely on external connectivity, > > and did not need to contact google.com gratuitously. > > > > AndyM > > They donʼt contact google.com, they perform DNS lookups on > google.com. The connectivity tests we have connect to localhost. > > External connectivity is one of the big features of Emacs, it should > be tested by the test suite. Agreed. Still, it would be nice if there were alternatives to google more in resonance with Emacs; perhaps, since (arguably) DNS resolution of such a behemoth as Google would be more reliable than everyone else, we might need a couple of alternatives. Gnu.org comes to mind, but perhaps debian.org, wikipedia.org or archive.org might qualify? I don't have the chops to assess the ramifications of this -- perhaps something for a discussio (not necessarily in this thread). Cheers -- t