On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 12:38:37AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > was, but it was also before the Node and before JS become ubiquitious in > > every application, > > People can use web apps if they wish, but please do not tell people > that that's all there is nowadays. GNU/Linux has plenty of > applications which users install on their own computers and contain no > Javascript. > > That old way is also the way that is good for users' control of the > software. Distros package the program and offer their own versions. > In doing this, they audit the code. Not completely, but it's still a > good thing. The distros compete but also learn from each other. That > is the way in which our community traditionally protects itself > against malware and bugs. > > "Web applications", even if their code is released as free software, > structure a system of release and usage which has no room for distros, > and this interferes with users' having control over the program. > > A structure which precludes this is dangerous in practice, even if in > principle it should not change anything. Can't agree more (see my answer to your other post). Cheers - t