On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 01:33:24PM +0800, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > > Doesn't menu File > Open File do what you request, > > by default? [...] > Hmm. You are right. I thought that the problem was with Emacs defaults, > but it seems to be a problem with [...] I'm sure there are a couple of things to learn from this, although I can't quite put my finger on it. A try: - versatility vs. user experience fragmentation? - ease/difficulty of moving between Emacs "subworlds"? - opinionated/authoritarian vs. permissive/loosey-goosey? Does software have a pedagogical duty? If yes, which one? I think those questions have some relationship with Gnu's core values, somehow. Sorry for being so fuzzy. Cheers - t