On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 09:59:41AM -0400, Amin Bandali wrote: [...] > Reading this, another con of the XDG Base Directory approach just > occurred to me: > > As of now, the XDG support added in Emacs 27 for the location of > `user-emacs-directory' is completely optional: if "~/.emacs.d/" exists, > "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs/" won't be used at all. And some people seem to > quite dislike the XDG approach. So, basing this change upon that, users > who choose not to use "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs/" will inevitably be opted > out of this cleaning up of their Emacs directory. I'd personally like > to have my `user-emacs-directory' be clean, even if I choose to use > "~/.emacs.d/" and not "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs/". So, another reason for > me to prefer my original proposal of diving `user-emacs-directory' up > into subdirectories, regardless of whether or not the user uses > "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs/". > > Thoughts? That would work for me. I actually structure my ~/.emacs.d anyway, and could live well with another structuring. Cheers - t