On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 12:42:07PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: [...] > What I think is missing is not the description of a specific protocol, > but a higher-level spec of basic capabilities needed for the > collaborative editing support in Emacs. Is this available anywhere? > If not, could someone please write it up? That would indeed be a Good Thing. > For example, one thing that strikes me is why "collaboration" via a > dVCS is not a good solution, or at least the basis of a solution? Am > I missing something? DISCLAIMER: I haven't much experience with collaborative editing. That said, as far as I understand the collaborative editing folks, the difference to a dVCS (which I read as "distributed version control system" à la git) is the "live" experience: you see other people's cursors (points?) running over the text making changes, while you change the text, too. Ideally supported by a side channel, e.g. audio. Think several people doodling simultaneously over a shared blackboard. There was a thread a while ago in -help or -devel explaining why several emacs clients connected to a common server didn't quite fill that bill: I could only partially understand what the limitations were. I think I'll have to try it in practice to get a grip on that. Cheers -- tomás