On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 02:34:11PM +0100, João Távora wrote: > On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 2:29 PM Dmitry Gutov wrote: > > > > On 02.05.2020 16:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > You expect the_name_ to tell you all that?? Then what do you think > > > of C library functions like realpath or stpcpy or strpbrk or rpmatch? > > > > Let's please not use the C library as the example of good naming practice. > > I bet you'll find people that think it has the best naming. I kind of like it. > > My point this: this is all quite subjective. "recent" and "popular" doesn't > necessarily equal "good". ...or perhaps it is, but it's a different culture, so it's somewhat irrelevant. I'm all for putting thought when developing new interfaces, and correcting obvious mistakes in old ones, but for the latter, one would first have to gather some consensus that it's broken, then on which direction to take, and then on doing the change. That's the art! Cheers -- t