On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 09:13:58PM +0200, Philippe Vaucher wrote: [...] > > I'm sorry that you are amazed. It seems I'm unable to bring across my > > point. > Ah, I get it now. You just want to make me understand how people perceive > what I say. I agree, it's sad that I appear that way. Yes, that's it :-) Thanks for your patience. > So you're saying the alist example is so core to Lisp terminology that we > can't infer what I'm getting at (because Lisp *is* alist named that way > etc) ? Interesting, I didn't consider that indeed. I didn't see it that way, but yes, you're right. > > > Anyway Stefan agreed and proposed something about list. I said good idea > > > and we can make alias to the old names (that means KEEP the old names), > > and > > > EVENTUALLY (in a far future) deprecate the old names, and what you guys > > > deduce from this? That I want to rename the existing API right now. > > > > Right now, eventually -- some care strongly about keeping parts of it. > > It's, of course, on them to listen to you -- but it's on you to accept > > their position, too. > > > > True. I guess it's because I only see reactance on their part without even > considering the idea, and I think I'm able to see where they are talking > from so I find it unfair that they don't do the same with my argument. But > that's probably a biased view. All our views are biased, that's the exciting part of it :-D > > > This is strawmaning my position, I believe you wanted me to have this > > > position because you felt threatened by change. > > > > This old saw. "You're just hostile to change". Please don't. I know > > that from other discussions of this kind (believe me, I've witnessed > > quite a few) and it is... not constructive. > > > > Yes, you're right sorry I was steaming. The fact that Alan Mackenzie never > apologized for his ugly behavior left me with a taste of revenge, I'd fix > that. Yes. I perceived his reaction as (possibly unnecessarily) sharp, and I said so. > > IMHO valid rebuttals to my argument would have been: [on "valid rebuttals"] > I'd have worded better. By "valid" I meant "here's a non-exhaustive list of > arguments that appear to reply to the central argument". If you look at my > replies I think I always replied to these non-central arguments, but maybe > I focused too much on pointing out they were not central and people missed > my answer. I see. > > > Of course I also strawman your arguments here, but you'd get my point. > > > Address the center of the target, not its periphery. > > > > As defined by whom? > > > Good point, what is central and not is subjective. I guess my belief in > trying to steelman the other's position resulted in me calling out those > who didn't my position. I'd correct that. Hey, thanks a lot. Cheers -- tomás