On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:54:02PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: [...] > Drawing over normal text, if we don't want to redesign the entire > display engine, needs some new kind of "display element" ( a sibling > to "character", "image", "stretch", etc.), one that doesn't > necessarily have any effect on the metrics of the screen lines it is > drawn upon. I'm not sure I have a clear idea about what features such > a drawing will need to support, but it could be possible to add such > an element with not too much effort. Would someone want to come up > with a reasonable list of requirements for such a feature? That sounds... exciting. Basically, Emacs would have to have a "display list" of graphical elements to draw, each one perhaps having a bounding box (to discard those from redisplay which aren't currently visible) and perhaps a "layer" (more to the background or foreground). Hmmm. Cheers -- t