From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: gtags/ctags/etags/cscope support?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 19:45:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 06:44:40PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:06:24 +0100
>> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>>
>> Some days ago Stefan was talking about ebrowse but now it makes me
>> think.
>>
>> Between global/gtags/ctags/etags/cscope which of them has been (|| will
>> be) better supported in emacs. Because there are many packages around
>> but I can't estimate their popularity.
>>
>> Is it there any internal support for any of them within emacs? Is the
>> ggtags package actively maintained?
>>
>> Because I want to invest some time in one of them to improve the support
>> for tramp and ivy.
>>
>> Which of them has more potential in your opinion?
>
>It would indeed be interesting to have a comparison table of features
>in one place.  Then we could try to figure out what we want to
>support.  I'm guessing no single tool in its current form will do.

The comparison already exist; independently of how accurate it is. There
is a link in the global's page:

https://github.com/oracle/opengrok/wiki/Comparison-with-Similar-Tools

The formats are very similar; and gtags can use ctags if it is set in
compilation time, because the search algorithms in ctags seems to be
apparently more improved.

There is a package for gtags in elpa, but for me it was too
intrusive because most of it's code is to add keybinds and add graphical
windows that I don't use; while the fundamental calls are only less than
10% of the code.

The ctags tool is more frequent to find everywhere because works in vim
out of the box.

The other point is that in case of using tramp it is theoretically
possible to use a remote tags file with the local executable but I am
not "lispy" enough yet to implement such a thing myself from scratch.