From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Corrected tarballs for Emacs 23.2 and 23.3
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 11:51:27 +0100	[thread overview]

>> I have uploaded corrected 23.2b and 23.3b tarballs, with those
>> grammar files added, to the GNU FTP server at [...]

> For some reason, lisp/cedet/{ede,semantic,srecode}/loaddefs.el
> are being regenerated when building Emacs from the 23.3b tarball.
> The new files have about twice the length of the ones that are
> distributed.

Hm, there was no answer.

Looks like the rebuild is triggered because the timestamps of all
files in the 23.3b tarball have changed. (But I guess there must also
be something wrong with the make rules, because the loaddefs files
resulting from such a rebuild should be the same as before.)

>> All redistributors are urged to upgrade to these revised releases.

Gentoo will continue distributing the 23.3a tarball, because 23.3b
would cause increased build times for our users and changes to
unrelated installed files. The latter would also imply that all eleven
of our architecture teams would have to retest the new version before
it could be moved to our stable tree.

May I assume that RMS's statement in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu-emacs/2011-08/msg00003.html>
covers 23.3a, too? The wording there says "old Emacs 23.2 and 23.3
releases" which seems to be general enough.

Ulrich