* Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 17:22 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-01-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Emacs.

I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:

    automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
    Makefile:456: recipe for target 'lib/Makefile.in' failed

.  Doesn't *.mk belong to w32 builds?

I updated master at ~ 17:00 +0000 today.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 17:30 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:
>
>     automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such
> file or directory

You have to say "sh ./autogen.sh" to get things working again after some
recent changes.

It would be nice if the Makefile could detect these things and do the
right thing automatically.  It would save a lot of people a lot of time.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 17:39 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie, emacs-devel

I faced the same; got fixed after re-running autogen.sh.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:26 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Emacs.
>
> I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:
>
>     automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file
> or directory
>     Makefile:456: recipe for target 'lib/Makefile.in' failed
>
> .  Doesn't *.mk belong to w32 builds?
>
> I updated master at ~ 17:00 +0000 today.
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
>
> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 17:41 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-01-11 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hello, Emacs.
>
> I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:
>
>     automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
>     Makefile:456: recipe for target 'lib/Makefile.in' failed
>
> .  Doesn't *.mk belong to w32 builds?
>
> I updated master at ~ 17:00 +0000 today.

I got this, also under GNU/Linux, and I think I had to go the full
./autogen.sh route in order to build. Ie, start from the very beginning.

Eric

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-01-11 17:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:22:20 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:
>
>     automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
>     Makefile:456: recipe for target 'lib/Makefile.in' failed

Re-run autogen.sh.

> .  Doesn't *.mk belong to w32 builds?

No, it belongs to gnulib.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 18:22   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-01-11 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Eli.  Also Lars and Kaushal.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 07:54:44PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:22:20 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > I'm getting this error while trying to build under GNU/Linux:

> >     automake-1.15: error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
> >     Makefile:456: recipe for target 'lib/Makefile.in' failed

> Re-run autogen.sh.

Thanks.  I've done that, and my build now builds.  But it's _very_ noisy
(in terms of warning messages), and very slow: almost 11 minutes.  It
seems only a couple of years ago since a make bootstrap was taking me
between 4 and 5 minutes.

> > .  Doesn't *.mk belong to w32 builds?

> No, it belongs to gnulib.

OK, I'll need to learn about that.

--

@ 2017-01-11 18:43     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-01-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Emacs developers

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Thanks.  I've done that, and my build now builds.  But it's _very_ noisy
> (in terms of warning messages), and very slow: almost 11 minutes.  It
> seems only a couple of years ago since a make bootstrap was taking me
> between 4 and 5 minutes.

'make bootstrap' doesn't rebuild quite *everything* (compare
extraclean vs bootstrap-clean). The extra time might be coming from
some of those other things which are triggered now due to copyright
header updates for 2017.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 18:49   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-11 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:30:32 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> You have to say "sh ./autogen.sh" to get things working again after some
> recent changes.
>
> It would be nice if the Makefile could detect these things and do the
> right thing automatically.  It would save a lot of people a lot of time.

gnulib.mk is needed to produce Makefile.in, which is needed to produce
Makefile, so Makefile cannot detect these things.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 18:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:22:51 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > Re-run autogen.sh.
>
> Thanks.  I've done that, and my build now builds.  But it's _very_ noisy
> (in terms of warning messages), and very slow: almost 11 minutes.  It
> seems only a couple of years ago since a make bootstrap was taking me
> between 4 and 5 minutes.

Did you use "make -jN", with some suitable value of N?

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 18:57       ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2017-01-11 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 08:50:26PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:22:51 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > Re-run autogen.sh.

> > Thanks.  I've done that, and my build now builds.  But it's _very_ noisy
> > (in terms of warning messages), and very slow: almost 11 minutes.  It
> > seems only a couple of years ago since a make bootstrap was taking me
> > between 4 and 5 minutes.

> Did you use "make -jN", with some suitable value of N?

Yes, I've been using make -j5 for many, many years, ever since I first
installed Gentoo.

The build time seems effectively to have doubled in a very small number
of years.

--

@ 2017-01-11 19:35     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-11 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> gnulib.mk is needed to produce Makefile.in, which is needed to produce
> Makefile, so Makefile cannot detect these things.

There is a Makefile there, and of course it can detect these things if
we want it to.  If there is no Makefile there, then nobody has said
"make" before, and in that case, things will work fine.

For instance, if you check in "make"-breaking changes, then you could
also check in something that has the necessary commands to make "make"
work again.  We just have to establish some kind of mechanism -- for
instance, a special directive in the commit message?  Or something else.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 19:44         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 18:57:17 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > Did you use "make -jN", with some suitable value of N?
>
> Yes, I've been using make -j5 for many, many years, ever since I first
> installed Gentoo.
>
> The build time seems effectively to have doubled in a very small number
> of years.

The worst offender is ucs-normalize.el, which is now byte-compiled
using bootstrap-emacs, i.e with a byte-compiler that's interpreted
from Lisp source.

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 19:52       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-01-11 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:35:32 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > gnulib.mk is needed to produce Makefile.in, which is needed to produce
> > Makefile, so Makefile cannot detect these things.
>
> There is a Makefile there

No, there's GNUmakefile, which just includes Makefile if that exists
(which it does in this case).

> For instance, if you check in "make"-breaking changes, then you could
> also check in something that has the necessary commands to make "make"
> work again.

I couldn't find a way of doing that without significant changes in our
Makefiles, something for which I had no time, sorry.  Running
autogen.sh every once in a while is not a big deal, really.

> We just have to establish some kind of mechanism -- for
> instance, a special directive in the commit message?  Or something else.

I don't think I understand what you have in mind.  What directive?

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 20:08       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-01-11 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: acm, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> There is a Makefile there, and of course it can detect these things if
> we want it to.

Works for me after 25d3297.

(Updated Makefile.in triggers re-generation of Makefile via config.status,
updated rule for lib/Makefile.in triggers generation of nt/gnulib.mk.)

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 20:34         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: acm, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> (Updated Makefile.in triggers re-generation of Makefile via config.status,
> updated rule for lib/Makefile.in triggers generation of nt/gnulib.mk.)

So would that, in general, be the way to make "make" work again
automatically?  That is, if you make a change that requires full
regeneration, you should also update Makefile.in?

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 20:36         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2017-01-11 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: acm, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> For instance, if you check in "make"-breaking changes, then you could
>> also check in something that has the necessary commands to make "make"
>> work again.
>
> I couldn't find a way of doing that without significant changes in our
> Makefiles, something for which I had no time, sorry.  Running
> autogen.sh every once in a while is not a big deal, really.

Well, as you can see: Every single time things like this happens, people
get confused and can't build Emacs until somebody reminds them.

So if it's not a big deal, it's a thing, at least.

>> We just have to establish some kind of mechanism -- for
>> instance, a special directive in the commit message?  Or something else.
>
> I don't think I understand what you have in mind.  What directive?

That would be something we would decide on.  If just updating
Makefile.in makes these problems go away, then that's the directive.  :-)

* Re: Build failure in master for GNU: "error: cannot open < lib/../nt/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory"
@ 2017-01-11 21:20           ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2017-01-11 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: acm, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Jan 11 2017, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> I don't think I understand what you have in mind.  What directive?
>
> That would be something we would decide on.  If just updating
> Makefile.in makes these problems go away, then that's the directive.  :-)

Something like `touch nt/gnulib.mk' will do.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org