On Oct 15, 2014, at 10:47 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >The real underlying cause is dpkg's inability to handle simultaneous >installs of different versions of the same package. As a result, you >get more work, as you point out, and I can't easily keep around all the >versions I'd like to keep. It depends. We can install multiple different versions of Python simultaneously, including both Python 2[*] and Python 3, but it took a lot of work both in upstream and in Debian by the Python maintainers to make that happen. Cheers, -Barry [*] Although we only care about Python 2.7 now.