Thien-Thi Nguyen : > (a) Seamless history browsing. > > This is false fruit. Archeologists LIKE the seams. That is true. But beware of misleading analogies! Archeologists like the seams mainly because stratigraphy helps them date things. This is a problem historians looking through a version-control repository won't have. > Smoothing the repo > (possible) but not the external references into the repo (impossible) is > at best a half-assed "solution", at worst a ridiculous and never-ending > font of WOMBAT laments. I think the best we can hope for is a decent > map (and of course nice Emacs-based tools for grokking it in full :-D). We will have a decent map. Whether anyone cares enough to build those tools is another question. > If these can be achieved w/o undue repo futzing, that would be best. I intend to publish the conversion script here for review well before it is applied; you will be able to judge for yourself whether it is "undue", and suggest improvements. -- Eric S. Raymond