On Jan 09, 2014, at 07:35 AM, Neal Becker wrote: >I don't understand the git momentum. I've use hg heavily, and am generally >happy with it. > >Every time I have to use git, I have a terrible time. I find it vastly more >complicated than hg. The docs (in the form of man pages) I find never answer >my questions. Each one seems to cover 100 different topics, variations and >corner cases. Trying to read this requires a vast new vocabulary or arcane >terms. I agree in terms of git's --help docs. Here's a not-a-metric: % git merge --help | wc -l 630 % bzr merge --help | wc -l 116 % hg merge --help | wc -l 35 Is it possible to be *too* helpful? :) I highly recommend O'Reilly's book on git by Loeliger and McCullough (2nd edition). It has the clearest explanation of git's model that I've seen, with nice pictures for emphasis. As a bzr > hg > git > svn > cvs > rcs fan, I wouldn't say the book has made me love git, but it has certainly helped me make peace with it, to paraphrase a different post in this thread. -Barry