On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:18:21PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote: > On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 04:08:06PM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:39:12 +0200 > > > From: Agustin Martin > > > > > > Hi Eli, > > > > Thanks for responding, I was beginning to think that no one is > > interested. In general, I find that ispell.el is in sore need of > > modernization; at least that's my conclusion so far from playing with > > hunspell (with which I want to replace my aging collection of Ispell > > and its dictionaries that I use for many years). > > > > > At least for aspell ispell.el already uses utf8 as default communication > > > encoding and [:alpha:] as CASECHARS (and ^[:alpha:] as NOT-CASECHARS). > > > OTHERCHARS is guessed from aspell .dat file for given dictionary. > > > > The question is, why isn't this done for any modern speller. The only > > one I know of that cannot handle UTF-8 is Ispell. > > I think the only real remaining reason is for XEmacs compatibility. AFAIK > XEmacs does not support [:alpha:]. > > I thought about filtering ispell-dictionary-base-alist when used from FSF > Emacs, so it uses [:alpha:] and still keeps compatibility. I am currently a > bit busy, but at some time I may try this for Debian and see what happens. For the records, I am attaching what I am currently trying, post-processing global dictionary list while leaving local definitions at ~/.emacs unmodified. This should also deal with [#11200: ispell.el sets incorrect encoding for the default dictionary]. I would like to test this a bit more and commit if there are no problems. -- Agustin