* texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi
@ 2011-12-07  9:20 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-12-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am trying to write a more up-to-date info manual for BBDB.
However, I am not yet familiar with the subtleties of how to set up
an info manual. For a more advanced example for how this can be done
I looked into emacs.texi.

The texinfo manual says about "Updating Nodes and Menus"

  If you do not use the updating commands, you need to write menus
  and node pointers by hand, which is a tedious task.

The emacs command texinfo-master-menu (used with a prefix arg) is
supposed to do that; according to the doc string it updates all
existing nodes and menus. Yet when I run this command on emacs.texi,
this brings emacs.texi into a format that makes makeinfo rather
unhappy. What is going on here? Is emacs.texi too advanced for
emacs' texinfo mode so that nodes need to be updated by hand? Or is
there a more sophisticated way of updating nodes in an automated
fashion that works even for something like emacs.texi?

What kind of constructs in emacs.texi go beyond the capabilities of
texinfo-master-menu so that (at least in the beginning) I might want
to avoid them?

Any hints are appreciated.

Roland