On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06:51AM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote: > Taylor Venable writes: > > > Another thing is that 'ls -ab' is run at some point, but the '-b' > > option isn't available on OpenBSD's ls. Perhaps neither one of these > > is directly the cause, but they seem like they may be red flags to me. > > That might be the problem, because it happens exactly at the place where > Tramp runs into trouble. > > Could you, please, check whether the appended patch helps? With this patch in place I can do absolute directories, but paths that use tilde for home don't work. They give the same errors as before with the /tmp/ pathname that includes the date and everything. That date output is the same produced by 'ls -lnd /' which it appears is being executed from tramp.el (tramp-get-ls-command). There are a lot of references to "drwxr-xr-x 17 0 0 512 Feb 21 15:49" which is precisely the output of 'ls -lnd /'. Perhaps that is not relevant, but anyway attached is a new debug log for when I try to use tilde in a path name. It seems like we're heading in the right direction, thanks for the help so far. -- Taylor Christopher Venable http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/