* Re: app termination / ns resources
       [not found] <B9752D2D-6866-4533-841A-CCBC9C51F7B9@gmail.com>
@ 2009-03-11  9:59 ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-03-11  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

[cc'ing emacs-devel]

> Also, I have a removed the NS resources and also the ns-expand-
> lines business, which helped with the interrupted pattern in the
> fringe for some (but not all) fonts.  I will test this a little
> more and check it in later this week.

One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-panel <-
 > ns defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of
keeping the NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys,
out of .emacs, etc. so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs
across platforms.

As some of these were or are being brought up to the core level, this
path can and should go away. However, what WILL be remaining platform-
specific after the current round are:

- modifier key settings
- system highlight color switch
- antialiasing switch
- quickdraw smoothing switch

As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure settings
for these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause migration
problems.  I don't know but it would be nice if there were some way
to use .emacs and core customization but have these settings
conditionalized on whether the variables exist, or whether the
windowing system is 'ns.

Finally, the face color setting system will still need to be changed
to use the .emacs path.

* Re: app termination / ns resources
@ 2009-03-11 12:27   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-03-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

> One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-panel
> <-> ns defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of
> keeping the NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys,
> out of .emacs, etc. so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs
> across platforms.

Yes, but the technical distinction of what is available across
platforms is not a user-level category that merits aggregating these
functions in a panel (vs. Emacs customization vs. Options menu vs.
Lisp variables).

In .emacs, users do (when (eq initial-window-system 'ns) ...).

> As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure settings
> for these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause migration
> problems.  I don't know but it would be nice if there were some way
> to use .emacs and core customization but have these settings
> conditionalized on whether the variables exist, or whether the
> windowing system is 'ns.

In custom-file, it appears that something like

(custom-set-variables '(foobar 11 t))

will set foobar even if it wasn't defined.  This is the right thing.

> Finally, the face color setting system will still need to be changed
> to use the .emacs path.

Haven't looked into this, perhaps you or somebody else can give it a
try.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: app termination / ns resources
@ 2009-03-11 14:42   ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2009-03-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:59:25AM +0200, Adrian Robert wrote:
> [cc'ing emacs-devel]
>

>> Also, I have a removed the NS resources and also the ns-expand-lines
>> business, which helped with the interrupted pattern in the fringe for some
>> (but not all) fonts.  I will test this a little more and check it in later
>> this week.
>
> One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-panel <-> ns
> defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of keeping the
> NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys, out of .emacs, etc.
> so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs across platforms.
>
> As some of these were or are being brought up to the core level, this path
> can and should go away. However, what WILL be remaining platform-specific
> after the current round are:
>
> - modifier key settings
> - system highlight color switch
> - antialiasing switch
> - quickdraw smoothing switch
>
> As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure settings for
> these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause migration problems.  I don't
> know but it would be nice if there were some way to use .emacs and core
> customization but have these settings conditionalized on whether the
> variables exist, or whether the windowing system is 'ns.

I maintain an emacs across a few different platforms. To do this I use
the following peice of code below.

    (load-user-elisp
      (cond
        ((string-equal "gnu/linux" system-type)  "linux.el")
        ((string-equal "darwin"    system-type)  "darwin.el")))

load-user-elisp is my own function. You would need to convert that to
the Emacs distributed function (load)

For dealing with the whole range of these kinds of issues I made the following
package: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Grail

It would not be a good idea to make the platform specific switch based on
a check of the window system, as Emacs can always run in tty mode and the
test would be broken.

--
GnuPG Key: B9012279 is available from HKP server pgp.mit.edu

* Re: app termination / ns resources
@ 2009-03-11 16:51     ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-03-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

>> As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure
>> settings for these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause
>> migration problems.  I don't know but it would be nice if there
>> were some way to use .emacs and core customization but have these
>> settings conditionalized on whether the variables exist, or
>> whether the windowing system is 'ns.
>
> In custom-file, it appears that something like
>
> (custom-set-variables '(foobar 11 t))
>
> will set foobar even if it wasn't defined.  This is the right thing.

OK, good, there's no problem then.

* Re: app termination / ns resources
@ 2009-03-13  4:55     ` Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2009-03-13  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Mar 11, 2009, at 6:12 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:
>>
>> One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-
>> panel <-> ns defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat
>> way of keeping the NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or
>> modifier keys, out of .emacs, etc. so they would not interfere
>> when moving a .emacs across platforms.
>
> Yes, but the technical distinction of what is available across
> platforms is not a user-level category that merits aggregating
> these functions in a panel (vs. Emacs customization vs. Options
> menu vs. Lisp variables).

I'm not sure about this.  Whether I were using W32 or Mac or anything
else it makes sense as a user to split these out.  Since if I'm an
emacs user on other platforms, these will be exactly the things I
don't know about and might want to set on moving to the new
platform.  But anway it doesn't matter since it will be removed, I
was only mentioning it to point out a possible hazard (which turns
out not to be a hazard) about transitioning to .emacs.

* Re: app termination / ns resources
@ 2009-03-14 21:39       ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-03-14 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Robert; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel