From: Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org>
To: "Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
Cc: cyd@stupidchicken.com, stephen@xemacs.org, rms@gnu.org,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:55:55 +0100	[thread overview]

             A better idea would be for Rmail to detect whether it has
             already munged the file (a quick grep for "^X-RMAIL-.*"
             headers should do) and if not make the buffer read-only.

         That sounds like a good idea.  It should be enough to check the
         first message for that header, since a previous visit with Rmail
         will necessarily have displayed the first message and put that
         header into it.

      This mbox detection problem sounds like what we are trying to solve
      with bug#2222 (Labels). Launching rmail would automatically add a
      message on top of the mbox file, adding special rmail headers and
      thus making this mbox file detection really easy (if grepping for
      rmail headers on the first message). We would have solved two
      problems that way. I am strongly in favour of this approach. Still
      we need to find a consensus to the question: to hide or not to
      hide.

   How would thiis work for "C-x C-f ~/RMAIL.foo"?  Is the suggestion to
   do this check on all files one opens?  I think this would be very
   bad...

See below. But I guess emacs is already doing such check each
time it opens a file, no ?

   Using file variables is the right solution.

This is what we have discussed using normal local variables, so
C-x C-f would work or I did not understand all the discussion :/
The alternative would be to use a special suffix for the rmail
files and add it to the auto-mode-alist variable but I find it
less useful since we cannot offer user the possibility not to
open a mbox file in rmail-mode.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org