* Re: your vc-hg.el change
@ 2009-01-12 10:36 Norman Gray
From: Norman Gray @ 2009-01-12 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Greetings.

This is picking up a thread of 24 November last year[1].  Apologies: I
missed the thread then and only re-found it in the archive now.

I was the OP for the small patch, which made the vc-hg-program
configurable in vc-hg.el, rather than being hard-coded.  The decision
to include or reject the patch is not mine, and I don't want to re-
start a discussion, but I'd like to log the context I should have
added at the time of the thread, for the record.

   * I'm using emacs on OS X here (specifically Aquamacs).  There,
applications start as children of a daemon which is not a child of the
login process, so adjusting the path that they see is slightly
intricate, rather than being simply an adjustment to .bashrc (it
implies configuration in two places rather than one, which is always
bad).

   * On this platform, applications are installed in standalone
directories per-application/version, rather than simply dropped into /
usr/local.  Thus having a per-application install of hg is arguably
DTRT on this platform (though this convention is weak for non-GUI
programs).

Adding this one bit of configuration therefore has clear benefits on
this platform.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-11/msg00838.html

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester