* Bug in 256 color terminal, colors > first 8 appear as white
@ 2008-07-04  1:02 Len Trigg
From: Len Trigg @ 2008-07-04  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Hi there,

I have xterm and rxvt set up for 256 colors, however when I start
emacs -nw in these, list-colors-display shows 256 rows, but only the
first 8 actually display with different colors, the rest are all shown
in white.  This seems like it is a bug in emacs (although these things
can be tricky to pinpoint).

I am fairly sure non-emacs factors have been set up OK.  From the
xterm/rxvt, if I run 256colors2.pl (found on the net), I get all the
colors showing nicely, verifying that the terminals themselves are set
for 256 colors.  Running "tput colors" shows 256.  My $TERM is
xterm-256color.

Is this a bug, or is there some configuration I am missing? (I am
running emacs built from CVS a couple of weeks ago)

Cheers,
Len.

* Re: Bug in 256 color terminal, colors > first 8 appear as white
@ 2008-07-04  1:50 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-07-04  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Trigg; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Len Trigg <lenbok@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi there,
  >
  > I have xterm and rxvt set up for 256 colors, however when I start
  > emacs -nw in these, list-colors-display shows 256 rows, but only the
  > first 8 actually display with different colors, the rest are all shown
  > in white.  This seems like it is a bug in emacs (although these things
  > can be tricky to pinpoint).
  >
  > I am fairly sure non-emacs factors have been set up OK.  From the
  > xterm/rxvt, if I run 256colors2.pl (found on the net), I get all the
  > colors showing nicely, verifying that the terminals themselves are set
  > for 256 colors.  Running "tput colors" shows 256.  My $TERM is
  > xterm-256color.
  >
  > Is this a bug, or is there some configuration I am missing? (I am
  > running emacs built from CVS a couple of weeks ago)

Do you have the header files for termcap or terminfo or ncurses installed?

What do you get if you do:

grep TERM emacs/src/config.h

* Re: Bug in 256 color terminal, colors > first 8 appear as white
@ 2008-07-06 21:15   ` Len Trigg
From: Len Trigg @ 2008-07-06 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Do you have the header files for termcap or terminfo or ncurses installed?
>
> What do you get if you do:
>
> grep TERM emacs/src/config.h

After getting your message, the grep gave me:

/* #undef HAVE_TERMCAP_H */
#define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
/* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */

So I installed libtermcap-devel (I'm on centos 5.2), and now after
doing:

make maintainer-clean && ./configure --prefix=/home2/len/local && make bootstrap install

the grep gives me:

#define HAVE_TERMCAP_H 1
#define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
/* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */

Which looks better.  However, the newly built emacs still exhibits the
same problem.  Is there more I need?

@ 2008-07-06 22:08     ` Len Trigg
From: Len Trigg @ 2008-07-06 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Len Trigg wrote:

> Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> > Do you have the header files for termcap or terminfo or ncurses installed?
> >
> > What do you get if you do:
> >
> > grep TERM emacs/src/config.h
>
> After getting your message, the grep gave me:
>
> /* #undef HAVE_TERMCAP_H */
> #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
> /* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */
>
> So I installed libtermcap-devel (I'm on centos 5.2), and now after
> doing:
>
> make maintainer-clean && ./configure --prefix=/home2/len/local && make bootstrap install
>
> the grep gives me:
>
> #define HAVE_TERMCAP_H 1
> #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
> /* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */
>
> Which looks better.  However, the newly built emacs still exhibits the
> same problem.  Is there more I need?

Following up myself, I found and installed ncurses-devel, and now the grep gives:

#define HAVE_TERMCAP_H 1
#define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
#define HAVE_TERM_H 1

And now list-colors-display shows all the colors correctly.  So, to
summarize, it seems that both ncurses and termcap headers are needed
for this to work (maybe terminfo could be substituted for termcap?).

@ 2008-07-07  3:03       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-07-07  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Trigg; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Len Trigg <len@netvalue.net.nz> writes:

  > Len Trigg wrote:
  > >
  > > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > > Do you have the header files for termcap or terminfo or ncurses installed?
  > > >
  > > > What do you get if you do:
  > > >
  > > > grep TERM emacs/src/config.h
  > >
  > > After getting your message, the grep gave me:
  > >
  > > /* #undef HAVE_TERMCAP_H */
  > > #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
  > > /* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */
  > >
  > > So I installed libtermcap-devel (I'm on centos 5.2), and now after
  > > doing:
  > >
  > > make maintainer-clean && ./configure --prefix=/home2/len/local && make bootstrap install
  > >
  > > the grep gives me:
  > >
  > > #define HAVE_TERMCAP_H 1
  > > #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
  > > /* #undef HAVE_TERM_H */
  > >
  > > Which looks better.  However, the newly built emacs still exhibits the
  > > same problem.  Is there more I need?
  >
  > Following up myself, I found and installed ncurses-devel, and now the grep gives:
  >
  > #define HAVE_TERMCAP_H 1
  > #define HAVE_TERMIOS_H 1
  > #define HAVE_TERM_H 1
  >
  > And now list-colors-display shows all the colors correctly.  So, to
  > summarize, it seems that both ncurses and termcap headers are needed
  > for this to work (maybe terminfo could be substituted for termcap?).

Doubtful.  The terminfo headers should be enough.
I'd guess that the termcap entry for the terminal you are using is
incorrect.  Or maybe the termcap code is broken as it does not get much
(or any at all) testing because most machines use terminfo nowadays.