* Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 16:03 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.

Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
We'll supply a more precise date soon.

Thanks.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 16:42 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-06-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Yidong!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:03:30PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.

So, clearly, the Emacs-22 branch is dead.  You probably announced this
in another thread, one I haven't read.

With ECB built in, this will be something massively to look forward to!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 18:21 ` Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2008-06-10 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>
> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
> We'll supply a more precise date soon.

Have you been contacted about the ruby-mode.el copyright assignment yet?
I believe the maintainers said they would contact you, but I wanted to
make sure that has actually happened.

I've still got a bit more work left for documenting everything, but I
should have it wrapped up soon. Hopefully it can be included before the
feature freeze.

thanks,
Phil Hagelberg

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 18:52   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

I've added to admin/FOR-RELEASE the things that we are still planning to
add to the release but that haven't been installed yet, typically
because of copyright paperwork.

None of those represent a commitment to delay the release and/or the
feature freeze until we get those things installed, but it's just to
keep track of what's still pending.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 19:39   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-10 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Hagelberg; +Cc: emacs-devel

Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:
>
>> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
>> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
>> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>>
>> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
>> We'll supply a more precise date soon.
>
> Have you been contacted about the ruby-mode.el copyright assignment yet?
> I believe the maintainers said they would contact you, but I wanted to
> make sure that has actually happened.

No, I haven't heard from them at all :-(

It could be that they sent an email, which got lost or eaten by my spam
screen.  But that seems unlikely.  Could you try contacting them again,
and tell them to email both me AND Stefan?

(And thanks again for looking after this.)

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 20:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:42:16 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:03:30PM -0400, Chong Yidong wrote:
> > We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
> > For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
> > Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>
> So, clearly, the Emacs-22 branch is dead.

Which I think is a mistake, FWIW.  I think we won't have Emacs 23.1
ready for release for quite a few months to come (although I would be
thrilled to be wrong), and that therefore we should have released
v22.3 in the meantime.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 21:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> So, clearly, the Emacs-22 branch is dead.  You probably announced this
> in another thread, one I haven't read.

No, it's not been announced, and that's because it's not dead yet.
We haven't yet decided whether to make another 22 release or not.
If we want to make one, I think right about now is a good time for
it, tho.

I see there have been several important changes mad eto the Carbon port
on the 22 branch, but otherwise there have been fairly few changes.
Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
a 22.3 release?

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-10 21:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: acm, cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:17:39 -0400
> Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
> a 22.3 release?

A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
23.1 is ready.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-11 16:00       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-11 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: acm, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:17:39 -0400
>> Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
>> a 22.3 release?
>
> A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
> 23.1 is ready.

I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
branch.  The 22.1 release was already pretty darn stable, due to the
long release cycle.  I remember fixing a few crashes and one small
memory leak for 22.2, but that's about it.

I guess the thing to do is to go through the ChangeLogs and draw up a
list of changes made to the branch since 22.2.  Then we can get a better
idea of whether a 22.3 release is warranted.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-11 19:08         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-11 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: acm, monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:00:22 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> >> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:17:39 -0400
> >> Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >>
> >> Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
> >> a 22.3 release?
> >
> > A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
> > 23.1 is ready.
>
> I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
> branch.

??? Since when the only bugs we care about are crashes?

> I guess the thing to do is to go through the ChangeLogs and draw up a
> list of changes made to the branch since 22.2.

They are all supposed to be bugfixes.

* Emacs 22 branch (was: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July)
@ 2008-06-11 19:27         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-06-11 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: acm, Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Wed, Jun 11 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
[...]
>>> No, it's not been announced, and that's because it's not dead yet.
>>> We haven't yet decided whether to make another 22 release or not.
>>> If we want to make one, I think right about now is a good time for
>>> it, tho.
>>> Other than the Carbon changes, what would be the main reasons for
>>> a 22.3 release?
>>
>> A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
>> 23.1 is ready.
>
> I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
> branch.  The 22.1 release was already pretty darn stable, due to the
> long release cycle.  I remember fixing a few crashes and one small
> memory leak for 22.2, but that's about it.

Probably the current difference to Emacs 22.2 is not sufficient.  I'd
suggest to keep applying bug fixes also to the branch (or is it much
work?) and release Emacs 22.3 in a few months.

> I guess the thing to do is to go through the ChangeLogs and draw up a
> list of changes made to the branch since 22.2.  Then we can get a better
> idea of whether a 22.3 release is warranted.

Shouldn't we look at FOR-RELEASE (in the branch Emacs 22) and the bugs
on the bug tracker relevant for Emacs 22.2?  (I couldn't figure out
how to list all Emacs 22.* bugs there.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-11 19:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-06-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jun 10 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:

> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>
> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
> We'll supply a more precise date soon.

I wonder what the feature freeze means for Gnus.  Is it a freeze only
for Emacs core functionality?  Is adding limited features (to Gnus)
still okay?  Could you please clarify?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-11 21:33           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: acm, monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > A few bugfixes, i.e. a more stable 22.x release to fill the gap until
>> > 23.1 is ready.
>>
>> I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
>> branch.
>
> ??? Since when the only bugs we care about are crashes?

I guess we miscommunicated: you were talking about stability, which I
took to mean resistance to crashing.  Obviously, crash bugs aren't all
we're concerned about.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-12  3:07             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-12  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: acm, monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 17:33:36 -0400
> Cc: acm@muc.de, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> I can't remember the last time a crash bug was reported/fixed in the
> >> branch.
> >
> > ??? Since when the only bugs we care about are crashes?
>
> I guess we miscommunicated: you were talking about stability, which I
> took to mean resistance to crashing.

Ah, yes.  Sorry about ambiguous wording.

* Re: Feature freeze postphoned to end-July
@ 2008-06-12 16:57   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

> On Tue, Jun 10 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> We originally planned to begin the feature freeze at the end of June.
>> For various reasons, however, three of the important features slated for
>> Emacs 23 (ECB, window grouping, and Emacs.app) won't be ready by then.
>>
>> Therefore, we're postphoning the feature freeze to the end of July.
>> We'll supply a more precise date soon.
>
> I wonder what the feature freeze means for Gnus.  Is it a freeze only
> for Emacs core functionality?  Is adding limited features (to Gnus)
> still okay?  Could you please clarify?

Gnus is a bit of a corner case.  Tentatively, I think we could follow a
similar procedure to what we did during the Emacs 22 release cycle,
i.e. have Emacs CVS track the Gnus stable branch.  As we get closer in
the cycle, we'll have a harder freeze.

Could you tell me what the status of Gnus development currently is, and
these limited features you plan to implement are?