* your vc-dir-mode-map change
@ 2008-04-30 18:50 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-04-30 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

Can you please undo your vc-dir-mode-map change?

"d" would be more useful if it followed what PCL-CVS does, provide
better diff functionality.

Deletion is not a very frequent action, so it does not seem like a good
idea to waste an easily accessible key for it.  Also it's better to make
it harder to delete files, so that users don't do it accidentally.
It doesn't seem such a big imposition to force the use of a menu or
M-x vc-delete-file when trying to remove files.

More, vc-delete-file does not have any key binding by default, and we
haven't gotten any complaints about this...

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: your vc-dir-mode-map change
@ 2008-04-30 19:01 ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2008-04-30 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Re: your vc-dir-mode-map change
@ 2008-04-30 20:26   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-04-30 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Sam Steingold <sds@podval.org> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > |
  > | Can you please undo your vc-dir-mode-map change?
  > |
  > | "d" would be more useful if it followed what PCL-CVS does, provide
  > | better diff functionality.
  >
  > would "r" be OK with you?

I'd rather keep that one for "rename".

  > | Deletion is not a very frequent action, so it does not seem like a good
  > | idea to waste an easily accessible key for it.  Also it's better to make
  > | it harder to delete files, so that users don't do it accidentally.
  > | It doesn't seem such a big imposition to force the use of a menu or
  > | M-x vc-delete-file when trying to remove files.
  >
  > There is no menu item.

It should be there first.

  > I find file deletion to be a fairly common operation.

That is not the same thing as deleting files from the VC system, which
is not that common.

  > | More, vc-delete-file does not have any key binding by default, and we
  > | haven't gotten any complaints about this...
  >
  > consider my patch to be such a complaint :-)

Well, VC has been around for many years, so this does not count much.
We can reconsider this when there's a key binding in the C-x v keymap.

* Re: your vc-dir-mode-map change
@ 2008-04-30 21:08     ` Alexandre Julliard
From: Alexandre Julliard @ 2008-04-30 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

>   > I find file deletion to be a fairly common operation.
>
> That is not the same thing as deleting files from the VC system, which
> is not that common.

Deleting unregistered files from the vc-dir buffer is a very convenient
way to clean things up in a project tree. It would be a shame not to
have a simple key binding for this.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard@winehq.org

* Re: your vc-dir-mode-map change
@ 2008-04-30 21:43       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-04-30 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Julliard; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Alexandre Julliard <julliard@winehq.org> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
  >
  > >   > I find file deletion to be a fairly common operation.
  > >
  > > That is not the same thing as deleting files from the VC system, which
  > > is not that common.
  >
  > Deleting unregistered files from the vc-dir buffer is a very convenient

That is not what the key binding under discussion does, it only deletes
registered files.  It barks at unregistered files.  And it also asks too
many questions when deleting multiple files...

  > way to clean things up in a project tree. It would be a shame not to
  > have a simple key binding for this.

Sure, but such a "simple key binding" should not be a lower case letter
that is too easy to type by mistake.

BTW vc-delete-files needs fixing, it is  unsafe, it can delete files that are in the
'edited state, so it is possible to lose data...