* 23.0.60; new vc-status interface: no more multi-file commits?
@ 2008-04-11 15:42 Tim Van Holder
From: Tim Van Holder @ 2008-04-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With todays CVS build, it looks like there is a new interface for C-x
v d; in itself that is quite nice (especially since it also lists
removed files, which the previous system never did, at least not for a
CVS backend).
However, it looks like one main functionality is omitted from this,
namely the ability to commit files directly (i.e. the old v-v action
in VC-under-dired; not that big a deal for a CVS backend, but with
changeset-based systems like svn/git that would seem to be a serious
lack, not to mention that it directly contradicts the information in
NEWS).

As an aside, is there a way to cleanly abort a long-running background
status update? I briefly checked the behaviour of vc-status on a tree
with svn backend; it also seemed to lack the ability to commit changed
files. On top of that, the retrieving of the status info uses a
background process; in the case of the tree I was using (a gcc
checkout), that process is quite slow, and there did not seem to be an
obvious way to cancel it. C-g did nothing (since it's a background
process), and when it finished after I had killed the vc-status buffer
I received a 'selecting deleted buffer' error.