On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:04:55 +0000 Alan Mackenzie wrote: > Hi, Luc! > > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:10:42PM -0500, Luc Teirlinck wrote: > > Alan Mackenzie wrote: > > > But I'm suggesting that the (eq mark-even-if-inactive nil) case > > be removed, since it's not useful. > > > I have not followed this discussion, so I am not sure I understand > > the above correctly. I hope that it does _not_ mean that you are > > suggesting eliminating mark-even-if-inactive completely. > > That was indeed what I was suggesting. > > [ .... ] > > > I have used t-m-m ever since I used Emacs and if I use commands like > > C-w and friends without having a region highlighted, so without > > being able to verify what is going to be deleted, there is 100% > > certainty that I typed C-w inadvertently, so the nice thing to do > > is to give me an error message rather than to make me pay for my > > mistyping. > > > So it is bad enough that mark-even-if-inactive was made t by default > > (a decision I am not going to fight, because I do not have the time > > to enter in some endless discussion), it should _certainly_ not be > > _eliminated_. > > OK, I withdraw the assertion that this option is useless and should be > eliminated. > > I would, however, still suggest it be renamed to reflect the thinking > in your second last paragraph above, and my opening post. How about > `region-op-only-when-highlit' (with an alias for the old name, of > course)? the naming implies constraint, what benefit is an artificial limitation ? > > Sincerely, > > > Luc. >