* 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-03 11:24 Tim Van Holder
From: Tim Van Holder @ 2008-03-03 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug; +Cc: bug-cc-mode

With this morning's build from CVS HED, the very first replace-string
in a C++ file buffer throws an error ("Invalid search bound (wrong side
of point)"), which *Messages* indicates as being thrown by
c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP.

Note that this may be caused by the fact that this was a "cvs up; make"
type build; I cannot currently verify the problem in a clean
bootstrapped build due to the bootstrap issue reported earlier by Angelo
Graziosi (which seems to be a real bug, as bumping max-specdpl-size from
1000 to 10000 in eval.c has no effect).

* Re: 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-03 11:53 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found] ` <20080303195230.GB2497@muc.de>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-03-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Van Holder; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-pretest-bug

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Tim Van Holder <tim.vanholder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot currently verify the problem in a clean
>  bootstrapped build due to the bootstrap issue reported earlier by Angelo
>  Graziosi (which seems to be a real bug, as bumping max-specdpl-size from
>  1000 to 10000 in eval.c has no effect).

Try reverting lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el to revision 1.109 and bootstrapping:

  cvs update -p -r 1.109 byte-opt.el > byte-opt.el

             Juanma

* Re: 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-03 12:34   ` Tim Van Holder
From: Tim Van Holder @ 2008-03-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-pretest-bug

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Tim Van Holder <tim.vanholder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I cannot currently verify the problem in a clean
>  >  bootstrapped build due to the bootstrap issue reported earlier by Angelo
>  >  Graziosi (which seems to be a real bug, as bumping max-specdpl-size from
>  >  1000 to 10000 in eval.c has no effect).
>
>  Try reverting lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el to revision 1.109 and bootstrapping:
>
>   cvs update -p -r 1.109 byte-opt.el > byte-opt.el

Did that, and ran a successful 'make bootstrap'. Error still persists
(and I also got the
same error when typing the second '/' of a new comment).

* Re: 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-03 19:52 ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found] ` <20080303195230.GB2497@muc.de>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-03-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Van Holder; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-pretest-bug, lekktu

Hi, Tim

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 12:24:44PM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:

> With this morning's build from CVS HED, the very first replace-string
> in a C++ file buffer throws an error ("Invalid search bound (wrong side
> of point)"), which *Messages* indicates as being thrown by
> c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP.

The same bug was reported by Yidong for the Emacs-22 branch (Subject: CC
mode bug in branch, Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:19:59 -0500, Message-ID:
<87prufr5f4.fsf@stupidchicken.com>).  I've fixed it in Emacs-22.

This bug was due to coding errors in a bug fix I'd made a few days
earlier.  I hadn't realised that this bug fix would percolate up to the
trunk without me doing it myself.

It looks like the trunk hasn't caught up with the latest bug fix.  I'll
try and update the trunk now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany)

@ 2008-03-03 20:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-cc-mode; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, tim.vanholder, lekktu, emacs-pretest-bug

> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:52:30 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Cc: bug-cc-mode@gnu.org, emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, lekktu@gmail.com
>
> This bug was due to coding errors in a bug fix I'd made a few days
> earlier.  I hadn't realised that this bug fix would percolate up to the
> trunk without me doing it myself.

Changes to the branch are automatically installed on the trunk, unless
the automation fails (meaning that either the change is not needed on
the trunk or it conflicts with the trunk code).  This magic is done by
scripts maintained by Miles.

* Re: 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-03 23:28     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-03-03 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, tim.vanholder, emacs-pretest-bug, lekktu

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> Changes to the branch are automatically installed on the trunk, unless
> the automation fails (meaning that either the change is not needed on
> the trunk or it conflicts with the trunk code).  This magic is done by
> scripts maintained by Miles.

It's more a script-assisted manual task, really; plenty of room for
human failure too... :-)

-Miles

--
/\ /\
(^.^)

* Re: 23.0.60; (CVS HEAD) first replace-string in a file throws error
@ 2008-03-04  4:18       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-04  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: bug-cc-mode, tim.vanholder, emacs-pretest-bug, lekktu

> From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Cc: bug-cc-mode@gnu.org,  tim.vanholder@gmail.com,  lekktu@gmail.com,  emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:28:01 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > Changes to the branch are automatically installed on the trunk, unless
> > the automation fails (meaning that either the change is not needed on
> > the trunk or it conflicts with the trunk code).  This magic is done by
> > scripts maintained by Miles.
>
> It's more a script-assisted manual task, really

So I should have said "this magic is done by Miles".  Thanks.

@ 2008-03-04 22:36   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-03-04 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Van Holder; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, again!

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 12:24:44PM +0100, Tim Van Holder wrote:

> > With this morning's build from CVS HED, the very first replace-string
> > in a C++ file buffer throws an error ("Invalid search bound (wrong side
> > of point)"), which *Messages* indicates as being thrown by
> > c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP.

I've just fixed this in the trunk.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).