* include po-mode.el ?
@ 2008-02-25  2:21 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-25  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Looking trough what emacs installs by default on my Fedora box: it
installs po-mode.el
This should be a good candidate to include in emacs. We have part of
the po system: po.el
It hasn't changed since 2002, so it's probably very stable by now.
The header say that it is part of GNU gettext, so the copyright should
be OK.

Any reason not to include it in emacs?

* [ping] Re: include po-mode.el ?
@ 2008-03-11  3:32 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-03-11  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Ping.

No opinion about this?

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

  > Looking trough what emacs installs by default on my Fedora box: it
  > installs po-mode.el
  > This should be a good candidate to include in emacs. We have part of
  > the po system: po.el
  > It hasn't changed since 2002, so it's probably very stable by now.
  > The header say that it is part of GNU gettext, so the copyright should
  > be OK.
  >
  > Any reason not to include it in emacs?

* Re: [ping] Re: include po-mode.el ?
@ 2008-03-11  7:13   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-03-11  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu skrev:
> Ping.
>
> No opinion about this?

Well, I'm for it.  Used it for several years now.  But isn't it distributed
with gettext?  Do we do a manual sync between Emacs and gettext when it
changes?  AFAIK, it has been pretty stable for a couple of years now, so I
guess it is a minor problem.

	Jan D.

@ 2008-03-11  8:11   ` Yavor Doganov
From: Yavor Doganov @ 2008-03-11  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> No opinion about this?

This is tremendously useful both for translators and programmers who
internationalize their programs.  I use it every day.

However you should talk with Bruno Haible about it, as it has been
distributed with GNU gettext since about forever.

* Re: [ping] Re: include po-mode.el ?
@ 2008-03-11 20:16     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-11 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> No opinion about this?

> This is tremendously useful both for translators and programmers who
> internationalize their programs.  I use it every day.

> However you should talk with Bruno Haible about it, as it has been
> distributed with GNU gettext since about forever.

IIRC when po.el was installed, it was decided to install po.el and to
leave po-mode.el out because po-mode.el can only be used if you have
gettext installed anyway.

* Re: [ping] Re: include po-mode.el ?
@ 2008-03-13  6:44       ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-03-13  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >> No opinion about this?
  >
  > > This is tremendously useful both for translators and programmers who
  > > internationalize their programs.  I use it every day.
  >
  > > However you should talk with Bruno Haible about it, as it has been
  > > distributed with GNU gettext since about forever.
  >
  > IIRC when po.el was installed, it was decided to install po.el and to
  > leave po-mode.el out because po-mode.el can only be used if you have
  > gettext installed anyway.

For GNU/Linux the packaging system takes care of installing po-mode.el
the right way, so that emacs uses it.  On other systems is not
necessarily true if whoever installs it does not take special care.
IMHO we should better include it and be done with it...