Hello, One of my in-development devel tools uses vc. While poking through the API I noticed this red flag. The vc-backend function returns a symbol identifying which backend "claims" a given path. Red Flag: The correct result for directories is only produced when the path has a trailing slash. Examples: here is a path that is the root of a subversion checkout. The evaluation result for each sexp is shown below. (vc-backend "/usr/home/mattie/system/emacs/") SVN (vc-backend "/usr/home/mattie/system/emacs") nil Version: 23.0.60.2 (old unicode branch I believe) Summary: I can work-around this, but I figured it was the Right Thing to flag it, as relying on the path instead of FS calls is a traditional red-flag. It is clearly wrong as well for the second sexp which is a valid directory path. Cheers, Mike Mattie P.S: at least in my version vc.el there is no version inserted into the head of the file, isn't that odd for a version control package ?